Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing full HD videos pc (CPU or video card?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

I am getting ready to buy a new Dell for use with my home network. I only want to spend $300 to $400 or so. I have been doing research on these new Dell 560,570,580 Inspiron systems. The prices can't be beat $299 free shipping. I just want to be able to play full HD videos 1920 x 1080p on my VLC player with these. All the search says the video card will do it. But what is more important for playing full had files video card or CPU? I have two i7 980x with XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 cards in them. They of coarse play full HD stuff fine. But i don't want or need such a monster pc again. Need one just for web searching and playing videos off of my home network from my HD media players and hard drives. I know a gigabit ethernet card is a must but CPU and video card not sure. Want the cheapest.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-570/pd

CPU

(Which one is better for full HD videos?)

•AMD Athlon™ II X2 245 (2.9GHz/1MB cache)
•AMD SempronTM 140 (2.7GHz/1MB cache)

Video card

•Integrated ATI HD4200 RadeonTM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Per the specs:

■ATI Avivo™ HD Video and Display Platform2
◦Dedicated unified video decoder (UVD 2) for H.264/AVC and VC-1 video formats
•High definition (HD) playback of both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats3
◦Hardware MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and DivX video decode acceleration
•Motion compensation and IDCT
◦ATI Avivo Video Post Processor3
•Color space conversion
•Chroma subsampling format conversion
•Horizontal and vertical scaling
•Gamma correction
•Advanced vector adaptive per-pixel de-interlacing
•De-blocking and noise reduction filtering
•Detail enhancement
•Inverse telecine (2:2 and 3:2 pull-down correction)
•Bad edit correction

Now, I don't know if VLC takes advantage of all that the hardware offers. The Athlon II is the better CPU.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading some specs and finding that a 5670 had the minimum horsepower required for doing all of the HD/Bluray postprocessing on chip. Now, whether the integrated chipsets were included with add in videocards, I am not sure.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 wfriction

wfriction

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Either of those would be fine for playing HD video - it isn't very taxing on the CPU or the GPU.
Best of luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users