Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore User

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gailee

gailee

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

Have a Dell Optiplex 330 running windows xp pro. Window would not start and did not boot safe mode (was able to get to diag & setup. Still under warranty w/ Dell and was instructed by them to do a re-install of windows, which I did. (A tech said it was a video prob) I contacted Dell again when there was no network adapter installed.

This computer is connected to a work domain. I created a new user to connect to the domain but it does not have admin privileges, ugh. Now I see I have these folders under Docs & Settings: Administrator (6/3/08)[purchase date of system], Default User, User, Administrator.ipswich (6/13/08), All Users (7/23/10), Rich (10/17/2010), Allusers.windows, rich.ipswich, Defaultuser.windows, administrator.rich (1/21/2010 - the day of reinstalling windows).

The user Rich has all the desktop shortcuts and files under it and I am assuming this the original logon user which I need to get back to. When I reinstalled windows, I did not realize nor did Dell tell me, that the user would still be there.
How can I get back to the original login (rich)? Will just deleting the new folders that were created on the windows re-install work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

I guess that I don't understand...what's preventing you from creating a proper account with Admin privileges...regardless of what name the user is provided?

Once any user account has admin privileges...it can take ownership of any of those files/folders under Docs & Settings.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Louis

#3 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for responding. I think I have this info printed to check out tomorrow. I think what happened is that I created a user account after I reinstalled windows and I didn't need to; the old one was already there - I just didn't realize it since the system did not ask me to logon. So I went in somehow to make a way to log on to the domain buy copying setup from another user on the doamin. I was just wondering if I could delete the folders (Allusers.windows, rich.ipswich, Defaultuser.windows, administrator.rich) that were created when I reinstalled windows on 1/21/11. I want to go back to using the rich (10/17/2010) user which has the boss's desktop shortcuts and favorites setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users