Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware bytes found pup.wirelesskeyview is this a virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 comp_user100

comp_user100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I scan with malware bytes each day and today it detected something it called pup.wirelesskeyview this was located at

c:\users\tesco\appdata\temp\temp1_wirelesskeyview(1).zipp\wirelesskeyview.exe

I then deleted this using malware bytes and scanned my comp qith avast, which found nothing. Is there anything else I need to do or should malware have got it all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

This app recovers all wireless network keys (WEP/WPA) stored in your computer by the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service of Windows XP and by the 'WLAN AutoConfig' service of Windows Vista.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Someone had to install this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 comp_user100

comp_user100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for replying! I havent installed anything apart from skype this week and have played some of the skype games which you have to download so not sure if it could have come as part of any of that..... so its safe then and wasnt a virus at all?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

This how I see this. If you did not install it. Some how someone did. Is this PC on a netwok? Are there other users.

If no one you know put it there then you wer accessed and need to reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you don?t know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE.
Note: After resetting your router, it is important to set a non-default password, and if possible, username, on the router. This will assist in eliminating the possibility of the router being hijacked again.

If there are other machines using the same router, they will need to be cleared MBAM before resetting the router. Otherwise, the malware will simply go back and change the router's DNS settings. You also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset. Check out this site HERE for video tutorials on how to properly configure your router's encryption and security settings. You may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Edited by boopme, 24 January 2011 - 04:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users