Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeps prompting for updates

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mr benn

mr benn

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Good evening guys. For several weeks my pc has kept prompting me to run the Windows updates (yellow shield icon with exclamation mark in the system tray). Even if I run it , and it says succesfull, the prompt appears again.
The most annoying thing that keeps running however is msiexec , which then grinds my pc to a halt.

I have had my pc checked for viruses by one of the bleeping guru's , see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373295.html

I am on Windows Xp SP 3

If I go to the control panel , then the current Security update XP shows as KB2419632 for ie 8 kb2416400

Appreciate any help .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Have you tried installing the updates Manually?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

<<The most annoying thing that keeps running however is msiexec , which then grinds my pc to a halt.>>

What do you mean? Exactly what happens?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/msiexec.mspx?mfr=true

If this is your main concern, I would guess it'a a Windows Installer issue.

Louis

#4 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

I have tried running the updates manually by clicking on the yellow icon in the system tray - it runs thru the 4 steps, says updates successfull, but then the icon just re-appears again.
Also when I click on shutdown, it keeps trying to run an update agai , if I dont select the option to shutdowns without applying updates.

I have treid going to the Micrsosoft website, and running an updates check from there as well.

Usually just after I log onto the pc , my cpu goes to 100% , and its nearly always because msiexec is running.
I can try and kill it, but it just keeps running when I log back on next time , or even at just random times.

Edited by mr benn, 30 January 2011 - 06:45 AM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Are these updates for .NET Framework?

#6 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

How can I tell Frank ?

see attachments

Attached Files

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

When the shield appears in your SysTray, you can open up the download screen and it will tell you.

#8 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hi - yes they appear to be .net framework updates

It says "installing microsoft.net framework 3.5 sp1 and .net framework 2.0 sp2 security update for windows 2000 2003 and XP (KB979909) update 1 of 4

(sorry wont let me add the screen shot)

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

I had the same thing a couple of months ago. I attempted to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework using Add/Remove Programs. One version would not uninstall so I left it. You will also need a .NET Framework cleanup tool after uninstallation. You can reinstall them if you like but I didn't do that and the failed updates disappeared. Unless you have an application that requires .NET Framework to operate, you don't need all the different versions. Unlike other programs, .NET Framework is only required in partnership with another application. You may not need any of the different versions or you may only need one version as I did. BTW, it was 2.0. That's how I got rid of the failed updates and I have had no problems with it.

#10 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

I have checked in add/remove , and removed the latest >ET fraework , which didnt show as 'installed' like the other versions I have on there.

I now have >NET Framewrok 1.1 , 2.0 sp2 , and 3.0 sp2.

So I get rid of 1.1 and 2.0 as theyre the oldest ?

Also , please advise what tool is the ".NET Framework cleanup tool after uninstallation"

Thanks for your help.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

That's not what I told you to do. I want you to attempt to uninstall ALL versions of .NET Framework and if a version won't uninstall, that's OK because it means you need it. You might not need any of them. It's different from other programs. Oldest version, latest version, it doesn't matter. When you finish uninstalling ALL of them, run the cleanup tool at the link below. Then don't reinstall any of them and the failed updates should go away. This is a Windows Update bug that will continue to be a nuisance unless you do this properly.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

#12 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Okay, I have managed to uninstall them bar one.

The only one that wont uninstall is version 3.5 SP1

I cant remove it at the top level line, like I could the others, but the remove option does appear on the line below it which says "Update for microsoft.net framework 3.5 SP1 (kb963707)"
But when I click on remove it says 'This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Did it tell you it was in use when you tried to uninstall it?

#14 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

No - just the message I put in my reply.

I cant seem to attach any further screens shots to this thread Im afraid , else I would.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

System manufacturer and model?

You cannot uninstall a version of MS.NET which came preinstalled on the system, using the tool previously provided. For some this means version 1.1 (those with Media Center PCs).

Any other version with XP should be uninstallable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users