Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System ReWork

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

I built my current rig about 11 months ago, and have had nothing but issues with it from the getgo. It's all motherboard related, I know that much and I have essentially gotten fed up enough with both XfX support and my intermittent bios resets / hard restarts.

I have a 775 mobo, that runs DDR3 (I have 8 gigs corsair dominator at 1333). Given that I need to replace the mobo and I'm stuck between two generations of hardware (iseries vs core) with gen 3 RAM... What are my options.

I'm really anal about quality, and I am a gamer - I take pride in my machines. As I see it, I have two options
1) Buy an iSeries Mobo and use the RAM I have (Most pricy, but best solution)
2) Buy a socket 775 board, and buy new ram (Cheapest)

Have I missed any other solutions?

My biggest issue with option 1 is not really the price, but the fact that I can't start low and upgrade later -> 1156 procs are I3/I5 // their sockets are made by foxconn, which tend to melt with OC's. LGA makes the 1366 sockets which are i7's primarily (and tbh, I want a nehalem proc eventually... :D ) Now, given that the cheapest i7 is ~300$ on newegg, and a good board is about the same. I have no issues dropping that kind of money on a good board, but is there really no other real option for me proc wise with a 1366?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Edited by Librarat, 24 January 2011 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Nehalems are dead. Socket 1156 and 1366 are dead ends. Yeah, I said it. The only reason to go for a socket 1366 is if you need to run more than 2 videocards due to the PCIe lane bandwidth. No reason to go 1156.

If you want quick, a 2600K and a good P67 LGA 1155 motherboard are the tops now. I try not to sound like an Intel fanboy, but facts are facts. If it were my money, I would wait a couple of months to let manufacturers work out some of the kinks with new BIOSes etc. Still a couple of pics of melted contacts on the new 1155 sockets as well when voltage is upped.

There is no manufacturer called "LGA" LGA is the type of socket (land grid array). As far as I know, Foxconn and Lotes and Tyco are the socket OEMs. Foxconn was the OEM having burn/melt problems with their first run of sockets. All fixed now as far as I know. Lotes and Tyco never suffered from the problem to begin with.

EDIT: The melted/burned socket on the 1155 board was supposedly on an engineering sample that accidentally got sent to a reviewer. The board was only for inhouse testing and someone at Gigabyte stuck it in with a bunch of review samples that got shipped out to hardware reviewers.

Edited by dpunisher, 24 January 2011 - 01:38 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Librarat

Librarat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the reply man. Can you elaborate on what you're saying about the 1155 socket set in the near future? Maybe some links? :) Is it really just BIOS issues holding up the 1155 line?

What are the differences between 1155/1156/1366
From what I gather, the prior are primarily i3/i5 where the 1366 is mostly i7/server procs

If the general belief truly is that the 1155 will become the new standard, awesome... But I don't want to be left in the dark like I already have been :)

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well, 1155 may be the standard until next year when Intel is coming out with Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge will be socket 1155, but might not work with present chipsets, so new board/CPU time to upgrade. At least that DDR3 will carry over.

1155 is ready to go, but I usually hold off a couple months to let initial kinks get worked out. No reason not to drop the money now and get a new setup, just be prepared for a BIOS update or two in the next few months. I just get cautious with new Intel releases (cough...MTH debacle..cough).

1156/1155/1366- The main difference is PCI-E lanes. 1366 has 32 PCI-E lanes dedicated to the two slots meant for videocards (2 slots at 16X), PCI-E controller in the Northbridge (X58) like previous offerings). 1155/1156 has the PCI-E controller integrated into the CPU (1155 also has integrated video as well), it has only 16 lanes total dedicated to the videocard slot(s)(2 slots at 8X or one slot at 16X). If you want to run dual video cards (Crossfire or SLI) then you give up a slight amount of performance (3-5%) with the 1155/1156 platform.

Supposedly Intel is going to release a Socket 2011 platform later in the year (Q3-Q4) but it is still unsure whether or not it will be released to general consumers like Socket 1366. At first it was assumed it would supplant Socket 1366 for high end server and consumer desktops, but lately there has been some doubt whether it will make it out of the server realm. It would truly be a monster.

As far as links, just go to Wiki and look up Socket 1155 and start there.

Edited by dpunisher, 26 January 2011 - 10:27 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Librarat

Librarat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Here's a noob question... Can current FSB's actually support PCI-E x16 total throughput? I mean, isn't the FSB still a bottleneck?

Assuming so, who cares? Wouldn't an 8x (50/50 split) work just fine? Also, Sata3 is nice and all, but we can't read or write data that fast anyway... So it's sorta' useless... is it not? [side note]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users