Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XPrepair install keeps rebooting/crashing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Isimanica

Isimanica

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Ok this first started about a week ago where windows would crash just after startup got done, the one where it shows the windows logo and the loading bar. It would crash with a fatal error. So I first tried to load last known good configuration. Nope still the same problem. So said ok let us try safe mode. Still computer crashes after loading bar and logo screen. Then I decieded that it was bad boot files possibly as that has happened on another of my computers before. Tried all the tricks I knew how to use with recovery console. Nada. So I tried to do a repair install, done a couple of times in the past with other computers.

This is where I am now stuck. I put the disc in, boot to the setup menu and begin the install. Roughly at the 9 mins left to complete the setup (that is what the setup is saying in the left hand side starts at 39 mins), or where it is trying to load components or register them. The computer reboots and starts all over in the setup.

Now I can't even do a clean install or have it reformat the drive. I have however got a copy of Ubuntu from my father and am able to run it off the DVD drive. I can view the hard drive and even search and start pulling anything I forgot to save perviously to a thumb drive. What can I do to fix this looping boot and get the computer to complete the repair install or get it to put a fresh one on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary30096

Gary30096

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Do you recall what the error was?

#3 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

I believe that it stated
Stop: c0000005 something fatal error then 0x00000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000) I believe was in the line below it.

Oh and forgot to mention this is xp pro OS

Edited by Isimanica, 24 January 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Gary30096

Gary30096

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

When you did the install, did you try a fresh install? Delete the partition and create a new one? Sometimes it may stall or freeze when installing. I'd suggest try doing it again.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

Now I can't even do a clean install or have it reformat the drive.

How do you know - have you tried to do a format and new install? What happens?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Before you do anything else, I would boot to Ubunto and back up your personal data.
Your only option may be a clean install.

Pls post the make/model of the system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

@allan
For starters every time I try and start the computer it automatically starts the set up for the repair install right out the gate. Does not give me the option to reformat the computer. That is the problem I am having, I can not even bring up the option for a fresh install without it going straight into the repair install setup.

@Eyesee
The make of the computer is a Dell D610 80gb HDD, 2 gigs ram, 1.86 pentium M processor.

@Gary30096
What partion are you refering to? I tried to do a repair install first, which is what keeps rebooting, and that was going to be my last option but I can not get to it. The computer starts up and goes right back to the repair install set up.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

If the DVD drive is the first device in the boot order, and if you are booting to an original, retail Windows 7 DVD, then it MUST begin the install routine - which will give you the option to delete / create partitions, format, etc.

#9 Gary30096

Gary30096

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Try this and let me know how it goes:

1) boot the computer with the windows CD in the drive and start tapping F12 when you see the Dell logo screen
2) you should get a boot option menu and select your cd/dvd drive and press enter
3) you should see the press any key to continue (press any key)
4) windows setup will start running
5) when you get to the windows setup screen press enter to setup windows xp now
6) press F8 to accept the EULA
7) you should see the partition option now. if you want completely delete everything on the hard drive highlight the partition and press d
8) continue with the instructions to create a new partition and install again

#10 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

If the DVD drive is the first device in the boot order, and if you are booting to an original, retail Windows 7 DVD, then it MUST begin the install routine - which will give you the option to delete / create partitions, format, etc.

Well I have tried it both ways. If I leave it to start from HDD the setup begins and asks for the disk to finish the set up. Then it will repeat the process and crash at the same point. Then I have set it up that the only boot drive is the CD/DVD drive. Again with both the windows disk that came with the computer and my brothers retail disc that he bought from microsoft. Both do the same thing the drive begins the boot up and it goes straight into restarting the setup from the repair install. That is why I am confused it won't show the menu telling me to select either install or recovery console or anything just goes straight into the set up.

#11 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Try this and let me know how it goes:

1) boot the computer with the windows CD in the drive and start tapping F12 when you see the Dell logo screen
2) you should get a boot option menu and select your cd/dvd drive and press enter
3) you should see the press any key to continue (press any key)
4) windows setup will start running
5) when you get to the windows setup screen press enter to setup windows xp now
6) press F8 to accept the EULA
7) you should see the partition option now. if you want completely delete everything on the hard drive highlight the partition and press d
8) continue with the instructions to create a new partition and install again

I have tried step one and selected the drive from the boot menu as specified in step 2. When step 3 is supposed to happen the computer goes straight into a blue screen stating that it is restarting the setup and begins to repeat the attempt at doing a repair install. I wish I could get a screen shot but maybe I can snap a picture with my camera or phone and then post it up here and see if that helps.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

It is not booting to the disk or the disk is not an original, retail OS disk.

#13 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

It is not booting to the disk or the disk is not an original, retail OS disk.

I have the original disk that Dell provides with every computer that they sell(it is green and says OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2, For distribution only with a new Dell PC) . Then I took my brothers retail that he bought when he built his own desktop. It is the disc that has the holgram front that says it is an offical XP Professional operating system disc service pack 2. I have tried both, made sure that in the setup the only place the computer boots from is the cd/dvd drive. right after the dell screen telling me the bios version, a light blue screen appears stating that it is restarting the setup for installation and sadly the whole process starts over again.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well, then it isn't booting to the cd. Sorry - but that's the only possibility.

#15 Isimanica

Isimanica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I know this is old but I wanted to put this information for any one else who runs into this problem. I finally got it worked out, the hard drive was bad. It was on the verge of complete failure. I used Ubunto to save the data that I wanted on to a thumb drive then just replaced the hard drive. I confirmed the bad hard drive by taking it a local computer guy and they confirmed that yes drive was bad. Just wanted to let people know that if the drive can still run, and your cd drive is good still, use ubunto and have it run from the CD then grab what data you can and replace the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users