Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Vexations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 els622

els622

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

I am having problems with my system clock. Dell XPS 1530, Vista Home Basic. The clock continuall speeds up. It is about 20 minutes fast now. I am also unable to sync it with one of the atomic clocks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2011 - 09:37 AM.
Split from old topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Are you sure that is speeds up? I've never seen an instance where that happens, more often it slows down.

Have you gone into the BIOS...and checked to see if the date/time data is correct?

If not, try adjusting that...then try the time sync from within Windows.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

A Google search reveals a number of similar complaints - some with solutions. You might want to scan through the posts and see if anything seems related to your system.

Also, as unlikely as it sounds a cmos battery that is dying can cause the system clock to be fast (though the usual symptom is just the opposite). It is not an expensive or difficult item to replace so if you can't fix it by following any of the suggestions in the Google link below it's probably worth a shot.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=system+clock+fast&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS369US309&ie=UTF-8

#4 els622

els622
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

It has eventually sped up to the current 18-20 minutes fast. I am unable to sync it with any of the suggested time sources. I have tried to change the time, but not in the bios (I don't think). I know nothing about bios and cmos and such.

#5 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

els622,

You enter the bios (Basic Input Output System) by entering one of the F-keys when you first boot up (turn on) the computer. If you shut down and power up again or restart, there is usually a black screen with some white writing on the bottom of the screen (possibly on the top) telling you to press one of the F-keys to enter SETUP (often F2 or F8 but different systems vary). Setup = bios. From there you can set date/time, configure hard drives and other hardware settings. etc.

Usually the opportunity to enter setup (bios) goes by very quickly, often less than a second, so you have to be ready, and possibly restart a time or two to figure out which F key to press and then to actually get it pressed in time for it to work. I wouldn't recommend messing with most of the settings there, but date/time are pretty straightforward.

Failing that, the cmos battery is inside your computer, usually on your motherboard. Typically they are a small silver colored button battery, maybe the size of a dime or so. Relatively inexpensive and easy to replace - as far a computer components go.

Good luck and let us know how are doing with this problem, or if you have more questions.

#6 els622

els622
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

Thanks. It is the F2 key. I went in and reset the clock. I will wait a few days to know if it speeds up. If it does, I will probably consider replacing the battery. Also now, I will try to sync with an online time source.

#7 els622

els622
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

P.S. Thanks. So far so good!

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members