Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD keeps locking up, despite installing a new one.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ughboots

Ughboots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hello, going to try calling on your assistance again.

I've noticed for a while now that my hard drive has been locking up and causing the PC to crash. It has happened mostly during the playing of video games, but also on boot up of Windows during the loading process. The version of Windows I am using is Windows 7, Home Premium, and the old drive was a Hitachi 1tb. It crashed to a BSOD, and then pretended there was no OS - after the screen of testing that shows up when the PC is started, it just flashed a cursor at me. I reinstalled windows, and it worked again. A day later, it crashed without the BSOD and the bios and the installer didn't even think there was a drive there. I replaced it with a Seagate 1TB drive, installed Windows 7, but a crash just happened again (a video game, this time) and I'm a bit worried.

It doesn't happen when i'm just browsing the web, or doing word processing and work in general. On the old drive, I sometimes noticed a 'spinning down' noise, which woul preceed the PC locking up. Sometimes, very rarely, I'd be lucky and I'd hear a 'spinning up' noise and it'd start again. It wasn't a regular thing, there weren't any regular timings to the crash. The crash would be accompanied by a 'clicking' noise, even if I didn't hear the spinning noise. With the latest crash (the first on the new drive) there was not a clicking noise.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm running an AMD Phenom 2 3.2ghz processor, 4gb of ram, Windows 7 32bit and an ASUS m4a785td-M evo motherboard. I ran the SeaTOOLS Smart and short self tests on the present drive, and it passed both drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

You say that your hard drive is locking up...well, it may be the system that is locking up, not the hard drive.

Any number of components could be overheating...or malperforming.

Clicking noises...can emanate from the hard drive, can be an indication that the connections for same are loose.

Noises can also originate from fans which are failing or which have bearing problems. Fan problems can result in the system overheating and shutting down/freezing to protect itself.

I would be inclined to check for possible overheating first, before I conluded that any component was involved. I would also try to pinpoint the origin of these clicking noises you refer to.

Louis

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

One other question.

You say this happens while gaming. Does the game need to have the CD in the optical drive? If so then it is likely the source of what you are hearing spin-up and very possibly the source of the clicking.

Is it the source of the crashing? To soon to say. First do as Louis suggested and check for over heating.

#5 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

I ran through the procedure, but it can't seem to find anything. Could there be somewhere hidden away from the program's prying eyes that I should point it to, or is the regular scan enough?

One other question.

You say this happens while gaming. Does the game need to have the CD in the optical drive? If so then it is likely the source of what you are hearing spin-up and very possibly the source of the clicking.

Is it the source of the crashing? To soon to say. First do as Louis suggested and check for over heating.

Nothing in the drive, I'm afraid.

You say that your hard drive is locking up...well, it may be the system that is locking up, not the hard drive.

Any number of components could be overheating...or malperforming.

Clicking noises...can emanate from the hard drive, can be an indication that the connections for same are loose.

Noises can also originate from fans which are failing or which have bearing problems. Fan problems can result in the system overheating and shutting down/freezing to protect itself.

I would be inclined to check for possible overheating first, before I conluded that any component was involved. I would also try to pinpoint the origin of these clicking noises you refer to.

Louis

I ran speedfan, as suggested in the last problem I had, and it's clocking in at 43c core temperature, spiking at 52. The fan is running at 4300RPM. The clicking noises haven't returned with the new drive, as yet, although I haven't experienced another crash aside from the first one with this either. Aside from taking it to a repair shop for a quick check of all the components, is there anything else you can suggest for me to do at home?

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

.....is there anything else you can suggest for me to do at home?

Have you checked the home page or any self help forums for the game to see if others are experiencing a problem\crash. Has there been any updates\patches released for the game?

#7 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

It's most games, but I've checked for various driver updates. Anything that puts a bit of a load on the system. I flipped through and found a few crash reports, but nothing that seems to fit. I'll do a deep search and if nothing comes up and noone else can offer any steps, a repair shop it is.

Thanks.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Well...you can always test the hard drive and RAM components...to satisfy yourself that nothing is inherently wrong with either.

Others here can guide you on how to test the PSU.

If your question was...is there some easy way to try to solve this puzzle...I believe the answer must be no.

I would only take my system to a shop...if I were convinced that I have a hardware problem that is beyond my ability to troubleshoot/overcome. For me, that would be a motherboard problem or a possible CPU problem.

When all else fails...I delete everything and start with a clean install, makes it easier to for me if I remove the O/S and malware from the equation. That still leaves a number of prospective suspects :).

Louis

#9 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Well...you can always test the hard drive and RAM components...to satisfy yourself that nothing is inherently wrong with either.

Others here can guide you on how to test the PSU.

If your question was...is there some easy way to try to solve this puzzle...I believe the answer must be no.

I would only take my system to a shop...if I were convinced that I have a hardware problem that is beyond my ability to troubleshoot/overcome. For me, that would be a motherboard problem or a possible CPU problem.

When all else fails...I delete everything and start with a clean install, makes it easier to for me if I remove the O/S and malware from the equation. That still leaves a number of prospective suspects :).

Louis

Up to two fresh installs so far (One on this HD, and one on the old one) but I'll start hunting for guides on testing the various bits of hardware. Ta.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

Hitachi Drive Fitness test

For Seagate

Memtest86+

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

One or more of the following may be useful:

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Beginners Guides Diagnosing Bad Hard Drives - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1583

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users