Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPAQ Presario boot problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

I have a COMPAQ Presarrio 1800, Pentium III, 256MB RAM, 4GB Hard Drive which all of a sudden refused to start up/boot.

I discovered that the following sequence would boot the system about 75% of the time but I would like to know if there is a permanent solution
Please help if at all possible.

Here is the sequence which will boot most of the time:

1. Plug AC adapter into wall outlet
2. Insert Battery into COMPAQ
3. Plug AC adapter/charger into COMPAQ
4. Press power button (nothing happens except that the window indicating power on and battery charging is lit
5. NOW MOST IMPORTANT DO THE FOLLOWING
hold down power button until the power indicator icon turns off (about 8 - 10 seconds)
THEN QUICKLY RELEASE AND DEPRESS THE POWER BUTTON

About 7 out of 10 times the system will boot.

I have tested the power adapter and it is OK
I have run COMPAQ diagnostics and all system components check out OK

I know that this is a brain teaser but my brain is all teased out.

PLEASE! Any and all recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
_Ed_

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

To assist you properly, I need to know exactly which laptop you have, there are several Presario 1800 models from Compaq computers.

Pick yours from this list below (expand the U.S. laptop category) and post back the complete model number. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tool=solveCategory&query=presario+1800&dest_page=solveCategory&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N131

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

MRBruce1959

Thank you the response. Model for COMPAQ Presario is 1800-XL-190.

FYI - since the original post I have checked the CMOS battery - it is OK and the clock is right on time
- disconnected hard drive and attempted to boot with floppy - same symptoms and same results

I can find nothing which would be symptomatic of burning to cause a short or an open

It almost seems like holding the power button for a length of time allows a capacitor to charge and then discharge to boot
By the wy, the battery MUST be inserted or it will never come up

With the 256MB RAM maxed out, by today's standards the computer is not worth anything. I figured that if if could get it
stable maybe I could put Linux for kids on and let my great great grand daughters and nieces play games on it.

It was given to me I guess as a brain teaser I guess and it has done that. Anyway, I guess I'm just stubborn enough to not
let some electronic tomfoolery outsmart me. (or in this case "US")

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you care to share. and a happy smile to you as well

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Sorry for the delay with my response and thanks for sending me a personal message to get me back to your topic.

Been a bit busy today replacing 8 bad surface mount electrolytic capacitors that leaked all over an audio processing board inside a Sears brand VCR. What a mess that was to remove, besides having to un-solder and re-solder all the 108 pins this board had back to the main board again. :whistle:

But that's my line of work and I enjoy the challenges. :)

But as you speak of capacitors charging in your post above, I figured I would mention what my task was for today since it is related.

When electrolytic capacitors leak, they lose the value they are rated for and eventually a circuit will fail to function properly.

I have seen this happen more with surface mount technology, which is widely used in todays condensed electronic components such as laptop computers.

So your problem could be related to the early signs of a failing capacitor.

I noticed the Compaq computer web site lists your model as a none U.S. version. So I had to look for it under the outside the US section.

Here is the support web page for your model.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=95415&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&dest_page=solveCategory&tool=solveCategory

Here is the main page for startup issues, but I will point you to a few direct links below from this page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=17382&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&tool=solveCategory&product=95415&dest_page=solveCategory

Read these three pages for possible solutions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00372748&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&dest_page=solveCategory&tool=solveCategory&product=95415

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684768&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&dest_page=solveCategory&tool=solveCategory&product=95415

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&dest_page=solveCategory&tool=solveCategory&product=95415

Please let me know if there are any solutions on any of those pages that worked or not.

If not, you may have to check the condition of the caps inside your laptop to see if any of them are leaking. Not an easy task to do...believe me on that one.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 January 2011 - 10:33 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

Admin: Please close and delete this item. System has been taken to recycle.
Thanks to all who helped!
_Ed_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users