Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore failing, internet explorer won't open, unable to add/remove programs??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sc11ust

sc11ust

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I am desperate for help. Can anybody help me with an idiot proof step by step guide of how to restore my pc to happier times? It got infected with various virusses and malware inc google re-direct and I ended up with palladium pro rendering it useless. . . I have xp home edition. Used bleeping computer for step by step instructions of how to remove and was successfull... after a few days allsorts of popups, security warnings and redirect issues were back again which system restore got over (or so I thought). All this has come from me installing microsoft security essentials I beleive? I can no longer get on the internet, system restore now fails and I can't add/remove programs either?? Malwarebytes full scan shows 0 infected files. . . Is there anything I can do. Only have limited internet access through my mobile phone. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

The assumption by many...that the effects of malware can be easily overcome and the system returned to happier days...just is not true.

In addition to file damage which may have directly inflicted by the malware...there is always the possiblity that key files have been damaged during efforts to troubleshoot and remove known/detected malware itesm.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Do you have any Windows installation CDs?

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

1) Are you prepared to lose all data and start from scratch?
2) Do you have an original XP CD?

#4 sc11ust

sc11ust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the response folks!
Compaq presario sr1719uk with amd athlon 64.
windows xp home edition.
Ideally we dont want to lose any software, we have lots of documents, files and photos etc too on there we want to keep. . .
I dont have windows discs, just printer, internet, camera and bluetooth discs. My parents recently purchesed windows vista, could i borrow that??

#5 sc11ust

sc11ust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Iv since found microsoft office pro disc too, but believe it didnt come with the xp disc as it was pre installed and supplied brand new by pc world. Sorry i cant b of more help...
Regards,
Gary.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

System Specs

From what I see, This was your backup/recovery/restore option.

Louis

#7 sc11ust

sc11ust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks again for the reply. . . So should i follow the 'this' link in your last post. What happens next?
(Apologies for being a novice)
Regards,
Gary.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Well...if you read that link, you will know what should have been done before now...in order to recover/restore the system.

I cannot say whether those instructions can be applied to your system, at this date.

I suggest that you pull out the owners manual for that system...and read it before deciding what your next step might be. The manual should cover possibilities for repair/reinstall/restoration...that govern that system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users