Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed tests are good, actual browsing speed incredibly slow.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bgreen776

bgreen776

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm using a Hughes HN7000S modem and an Linksys E3000 router. All my computers are windows 7 and have all the latest updates. I turned off windows firewall and installed Avast! Internet Security several months ago.

About a week ago my browsing speed dropped off drastically.

When I run Hughes speed tests and web responsiveness tests the results are normal, as are the tests from places like speedtest.net, but when actually browsing my speeds are so slow that many websites wont load. Like my gmail account... I have to log in using the basic version. Even the Yahoo home page takes over a minute to load. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Hughesnet customer service, but they said everything was working fine because the speed test results were "in range".

I tried using system restore, but that made no difference, the problem isn't computer specific. Even my phones can't cant access pages at normal speeds through my router and modem.

Any hints, tips, suggestions, information I left out?

Thank you!

Edited by bgreen776, 23 January 2011 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Post a speedtest from http://speedtest.net so we can check.

Because this is a Hughes connection, HTTPS (secure) sites are not going to be quick (which may explain the GMAIL slow loading).

Also, are you under the FAP?

Edited by NpaMA, 23 January 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

What browser?
Did you try different browser?
Same issue in Safe Mode with Networking?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Also, are you under the FAP?

Excellent question.

Being a former Hughes user I was aware of FAP. Surprised how many User`s are not.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

You have to take into consideration that with any type of satellite connection, that you will experience tremendous amount of latency anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds.

#6 bgreen776

bgreen776
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

Yes, I am under the FAP. The problem seems random, right now pages are painting fast, when I went to bed last night they painted painfully slow or not at all. Im assuming they are overselling their bandwidth. The problem has not alwasy existed, at least not to this degree. I'm cool with the latency, like you said, thats a given with any satellite connection. And I'm ok with the FAP and manage it pretty well. All computers, with any browser, through the router or directly connected to the modem, have the same issue. I have scanned for viruses and malware with multiple programs, everything appears clean.

Posted Image

I do not know what safe mode networking is, can you elaborate please?
Is it possible that Hughes is the problem?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

I do not know what safe mode networking is, can you elaborate please?

Safe mode with networking is when the system is loaded with only the most basic of drivers as well as the network card driver. The screen will look strange but most of the basic functions are still usable.

Is it possible that Hughes is the problem?

I know you are subject to FAP. But the question was are you currently under a FAP restriction. I have not been a Hughes customer since the 4000(?) self hosted days. I know the policies have changed. I think the name has too. But it all comes down to the same thing. Over use the service and have your speed cut to dial-up or below.
If you continue to use it while under FAP conceivably you may never be returned to normal speed.

Hughes is just about like every other provider out there. They over sell\over load their service. Spend a lot of time trying to load balance and in the mean time the customer suffers with below standard service.
They pretty much have a captive audience. It is either them, dial-up, or nothing.

Side note. I do know while I was with them they almost lost a bird. (satellite)

Sorry. I rambled. It is a very good possibility the problem is at their end. Getting them to admit to it is not easy. Getting them to do something about it is even harder.

Edited by ThunderZ, 24 January 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#8 bgreen776

bgreen776
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

ok, cool. I'll try safe mode.

I understand the FAP and how it can effect speed, thats a very good point though, its very easy to exceed your limits. If I was in violation of the FAP and under restriction I would not have the good download speeds. Also, in the modem System Control Center you can view a report of your usage hour by your across several months. The report will show you specifically what your bandwidth usage was, how many minutes you used the system, and whether or not you violated the FAP at any time during that hour.

I'm going to keep testing and monitoring my speed over the next week and see what happens. I'm pretty convinced that its on their end.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

I'm going to keep testing and monitoring my speed over the next week and see what happens. I'm pretty convinced that its on their end.

Keep your usage documented.

How old is the install?

How is the dish mounted? Pole in the ground? Mounted to a structure? Are there any trees that may have grown since the install and may now be blocking the line of site to the sat.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users