Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compressed air for keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dominose

dominose

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I might get an air compressor to clean fans, inflate tires etc.
Would it work to clean out my laptop keyboard?
Somebody told me it might get water in the keyboard. It would have a regulator, of course.
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Not sure I would recomend using a air compressor on anything computer related, keyboard maybe, but definetly not computer fans or the internals of the desktop-to much PSI. They sell canned air at most computer stores/walmarts, I would recomend those. And even then, use short, controlled bursts-hold the nozzle down to long and you will get moisture in your computer, and that is a bad thing.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

They sell canned air at most computer stores/walmarts

I know about "dusting air", but is there any reason that's better than an air compressor? I looked online a bit and I saw mention of people cleaning their keyboards with their air compressor and saying it worked fine. Is it risky?
Laura

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

"dusting air" .... that's a good one!

I have no qualms about using an air compressor. The more air the better: High pressure and large volume is good. I could not conceive of cleaning the insides of a computer box or a keyboard without using an air compressor.

Apart from a general "use due care" warning which could apply to just about anything I might do, the only precaution that I do take is to physically prevent any of the fans from spinning with either a finger or a skewer of some sort, when blowing air on them. The job is always done outside of course! There's usually plenty of dust and fluff flying everywhere. I have blown out many different computers this way and have yet to see the possibility of any risk associated with it. If I thought it was risky, I wouldn't be doing it.

I am aware that there are others with starkly different opinions and practices, related to the subject, but that is how I go about it. You will have to make your own mind up about this matter.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

I have no qualms about using an air compressor, the only precaution that I do take is to physically prevent any of the fans from spinning with either a finger or a skewer of some sort, when blowing air on them.

That seems like a good idea with fans in general: the compressed air pushing the fan might force the mechanism and damage it somehow.
thanks,
Laura

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Compressed air has a higher volume of water vapor relative to the ambient air temperature. This is why it is not recommended to use a 'regular' air compressor to clean out a computer. There are special ones that have inline dryers for that, that can be used for general electronic cleaning. As well as the 'canned' air that is not the same properties as breathable air.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Compressed air has a higher volume of water vapor relative to the ambient air temperature. This is why it is not recommended to use a 'regular' air compressor to clean out a computer.

It might depend on the humidity of the air that goes into an air compressor. If you're in a dry climate or you use a dehumidifier - like me, I keep the relative humidity below 50% - maybe it works, and if you're compressing humid air maybe you'd get water droplets in the air compressor.
Laura

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

As well as the 'canned' air that is not the same properties as breathable air.

That is the major difference and the one I would be most concerned about when deciding to use a compressor instead of canned air specific to the purpose.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

the compressed air pushing the fan might force the mechanism and damage it somehow.

Laura

It is more to do with preventing the generation of electrical current (and consequent damage to other components) that may be caused by the fan spinning, than it is to do with physical damage to the fan mechanism itself.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 nbtseven

nbtseven

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

Laura Have you ever used an air compressor before? Or owned one? Well as with most air compressors they accumulate a lot of water in the bottom of the tank, which would really make me question if I wanted to use it on my computer or not. Now this happens to us here and we live in a very dry climate, so I could only imagine what it would be like else where.

I would not recommend it, but do recommend the canned air you buy for electronics. Now this is just me...

#11 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

What do people in computer repair shops use, I wonder?
No, I haven't owned an air compressor.
Laura

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

I have a shop and I use compressed air and a car detail brush. A toothbrush would work too.
Check your local Big Lots or Dollar Store if you have one in your area.
They usually carry compressed air pretty cheap.

AutstrAlien is right about the potential for the fan spinning generating electrical current so block them somehow.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

I have a shop and I use compressed air

You mean, you use the cans?

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

I have found something similar these very handy in helping to clean keyboards of all types. Pretty cheap and can be found at most drug stores in the dental dept.

Posted Image

Least now I now where some of the hair that used to be on my head went. <_<

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

You can also use a brush to clean out the keyboard.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users