Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Virus Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonPM

JonPM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

I have a computer that is infected with a virus. Can I pull out the infected hard drive and throw it in a healthy system as a slave so I can run antivirus on it? Not sure if the virus can infect the new system since its not booting up off the infected HD. THanks.

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MFDnSC

MFDnSC

Ret. Director I/T

• Members
  • 4,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

That should work just fine but be very careful to run nothing off the slave
"Nothing could be finer than to be in South Carolina ............"

Member ASAP

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

An alternative way would be to build the UBCD4Win which runs off a CD, that way even if you did run something inadvertantly off the hdd you couldn't infect the OS as it's read only.

The other advantage is that you don't need to remove the hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users