Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:54 PM
After posting this, I tried yet another search for solutions (on another computer). This one from a google group seems to have fixed it:
- Open the Start menu, then select Run...
- In the blank next to Open, type "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" without the quotes, then hit OK.
- Select the Tools menu (toward the top, between Favorites and Help)
- Select Folder Options in the Tools menu, then click the View tab
- Under Advanced Settings, select the radio button beside "Show hidden files and folders"
- Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files..."
- A warning window will appear, select Yes, then hit OK
- Right-click the file named "hosts" and select Properties.
- Under the General tab, uncheck the box next to Read-only (if it is blank, leave it as is).
- Hit OK.
- Right-click the file named "hosts" again and select Open-With…
- In the Programs list, select Notepad, then hit OK
- Delete everything in the Notepad windows except “127.0.0.1 localhost”
- Hit File, then Save, then exit Notepad
- Restart your computer