Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed rogue antivirus now no internet connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 btaylor65

btaylor65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hi all
My wife's computer which is running xp became infected with "personal internet security 2011" went through the removal steps listed on the web site and everything seemed to go smoothly and I think I cleared the virus but after I deleted all of the extra web sites listed in the HOSTS file (which I assume were put there by the virus) I find I can no longer connect to the internet. I have checked to make sure the proxy button under tools>connection>Lan settings remains unchecked but still no internet. I made a copy of all the web sites listed in the HOSTS file, one of them was google.com and if I type this back in and save it I am allowed to get to google's home page but can't go to any web sites that come up with a search. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I am a complete idiot and not very computer literate. I'm not even sure if I am posting this in the right spot. Thanks for any help

Edited by btaylor65, 23 January 2011 - 03:25 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users