Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rahrah094

rahrah094

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 2.00 GB Ram, Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370 1.73 GHz processor

This laptop worked fine up till yesterday when it suddenly froze. I thought nothing of it but had to shutdown illegally. I was working again today when a few seconds after startup, it froze again when the weather channel desktop feed was booting. I thought that might be the problem so I uninstalled it. I had to do another illegal shutdown because the computer did not "de-freeze". Later I turned it back on and this happened again. I have no idea why this is happening because it alternates now. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it freezes completely. Can anyone help diagnose this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Run a free antivirus like MSE:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Update windows:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6907877_fix-pc-freeze_ups.html

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Open task manager to the processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top (double-click on the word "cpu" at the top) and leave task manager open. Next time the system hangs look and see if any process is pegged at or near 100% and let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users