Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CarChick84

CarChick84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

I am having problems with a recently purchased Sony DW-Q30a (from newegg.com). Installation went smoothly until I started up the computer. Everything starts normally, monitor displaying loading screens as usual, until Windows (using XP Home) itself should load. Right before the desktop should be visible, the monitor loses signal and goes to "sleep". The computer itself is still operating fine, as it makes all of its usual noises upon startup. The computer will run normally in safe mode. I tried taking the DVD burner out and re-installing the original CD burner and the same problem occurred. What is wrong, and how do I fix it? If you help me, I'll email you cookies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Obviously a bad conflict somewhere.

In safe mode go to start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system. Click on hardware tab and then device manager button. Go to cd/dvd drives, if the dvd drive is present, right click and delete it.

Remove any software you might have installed

Last, do you have up to date spyware, anti-virus software? Run a thorough check of your system and make sure it is clean.

If everything looks okay, I would try reattaching the dvd drive and restarting the computer and see if xp finds it and installs the drivers.

If all that works okay then set a system restore point and reinstall any associated software.

Let us know if this works and if the problem occurs and where when you start over.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Using system restore to go back to a time before you installed the DVDRW should fix all your problems, but doesn't help you install the burner.

If the system works in safe mode then it must be a driver issue or a resource conflict, I think we need some information about your video card - Manufacturer, model is it onboard or a 'real' card? Look in Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager) under 'Display Adapters' for info. While you are there check the date of the drivers.

A bit more info about your system would help too. (see my sig for examples) :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 CarChick84

CarChick84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

Bam! Outdated drivers kill every time... thanks for the suggestion, the video card drivers were just ancient. Wouldn't know what to without ya guys....

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:53 AM

So updating the video drivers fixed it?

Edited by Rimmer, 14 December 2005 - 08:00 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users