Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Following recent hard drive re-format, can't stay on Wifi network longer than 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 derkg

derkg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi all.

I recently reformatted my 2006 Acer laptop--Windows XP (which actually only reformatted the c: partition, not the d: partition, in case that's relevant).

After reinstalling XP, everything has been fine with one exception: I get booted off the Bell Hotspot Wifi at my local Starbucks. My connection rarely lasts 5 minutes. When I double click to get back on again, I do get back on no problem... I just have to keep doing this every 5 minutes.

Here's what I know:

No one else at the Starbucks has this problem, which made me think it's something with my own hardware, or maybe settings.

However, it does not do this at my home's wifi--everything is okay there! Only at the Bell Hotspot!

Someone suggested I need to do something in my Settings but I know pretty little about this--don't even know if it's a modem issue or a Wifi card issue (is there even a "Wifi card"..?)

Thanks a lot for any help.

-Derek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Try going to Acers home site and look up your PC. From there, see if there is a wifi driver. It may be a later version than the one you have installed.
Try installing the newer driver if there is one. See if that helps.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 derkg

derkg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

It was a driver issue indeed--now fixed. Thanks so much for your help!

-Derek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users