Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs become unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrina

Peregrina

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

I use an Asus G73JH with a Intel Core i7 740QM and 6GBs of RAM and my computer will frequently become unresponsive. It usually happens when playing games. When it does first whatever game I'm playing will freeze and become unresponsive but other programs will still work somewhat, I play in windowmized mode, like Chrome will still let me open tabs and minimize it but won't actually do anything like load a page but my cursor will never freeze. Then, the rest of my programs will become unresponsive. Ctr+Alt+Del doesn't much, although I always attempt it just to see everything I was trying to do happen all at once a minute or two later. It's never completely stopped and has always returned back to normal without fail after a minute or two. The computer doesn't ever feel hot to the touch because of the huge fans on the back pumping out all the hot air. The only part that feels slightly warm is where the video card is located, although I'm not surprised since I'm playing a game. Any ideas what it could be?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Is there any information, warning ... or such, in event viewer?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Open task manager to the processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top (double-click on the word "cpu" at the top) and leave task manager open. Next time the system hangs look and see if any process is pegged at or near 100% and let us know.

#4 brodie1600

brodie1600

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Seems you're running a game that your video card isn't able to handle. Maybe try reducing the video settings in the game you're playing. If that doesn't work, head to your video card manufacturer's website and see if there are any updates available for the card you're using, or you could always go out and purchase another video card.

#5 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Is there any information, warning ... or such, in event viewer?

Nope

Open task manager to the processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top (double-click on the word "cpu" at the top) and leave task manager open. Next time the system hangs look and see if any process is pegged at or near 100% and let us know.

I'm be sure to watch for that and repost afterward

Seems you're running a game that your video card isn't able to handle. Maybe try reducing the video settings in the game you're playing. If that doesn't work, head to your video card manufacturer's website and see if there are any updates available for the card you're using, or you could always go out and purchase another video card.

I just recently updated my video card driver about a week ago and I have a radeon 5870, it's well above the recommended requirements for all the games I play. Sorry, should of had that it my OP.
Posted Image

#6 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Posted Image

Just happened recently a few minutes ago.
Posted Image

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

that is a huge memory leak in wow. do you run any addons?

#8 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

that is a huge memory leak in wow. do you run any addons?

I Do. I had this many on my older computer and never really had a problem, and that only had 4GBs of RAM.

Atlasloot Enhanced
Deadly Boss Mods
Auctioneer
Bartender 4
Bloodhound
Gearscore (Playerscore)
Recount
Omen

Edited by Peregrina, 24 January 2011 - 04:28 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

98 processes running??? :woot: Try reducing those that are running in the background and not needed to start automatically.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

and ditch the addons