Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Touch Pad on Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

I do not like at all using my touch pad with my laptop as i have lost more stuff doing that. Typing along and it somehow highlights everything and if you aren't watching and aren't fast, the next key stroke zaps everything.

So I found before on my old lap top that the fn key and the f3 key together will work as a toggle (that sometimes irritatingly toggles its own self) to turn touch pad on and off.

On my new laptop I found it had a control to completely disable the touchpad which was way cool, one time, done.

Now amazingly enough the control is not locatable and the touch pad is activated and the fn f3 fix does not work either.

Anybody help figure out where the control gone to?

computer manufacturer says restore to default settings but I don't buy it there has to be another way as that will wipe out all my settings and more

Thanks if you have an idea.:busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

You might take a look in the BIOS...Human Interface Device or something similar.

There may be a setting to disable it.

Louis

#3 davecatterall

davecatterall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

What make and model is your laptop?

This info would make it easier to find a solution.

Some help may be found HERE

Some laptops don’t have dedicated buttons but you can use Function keys (like Fn + F5 on Dell computers) to toggle the state of your touch pad. In the case of HP laptops, you can hold the top-left corner of the touchpad for few seconds and it will disable the touch pad – repeat this to re-activate it.

New laptop computers either have a physical on/off button to easily disable the touch pad or there’s an icon in the system tray that lets you manage the various settings of the touchpad. If you don’t have that icon, you can go to Control Panel –> Mouse Properties –> Touch Pad to enable or disable the touchpad.

The touch pad can also be disabled through the device manager. Type devmgmt.msc in the Windows Run box to start the device manager, expand “Mice and other Pointing devices”, right-click and disable the driver entry that says Touch pad or likewise.

dave

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I will check these out especially the link.

I have an MSI computer CR620 32/64 bit with Windows7
This is particularly vexing because this is a replacement computer, my previous laptop had no internal setting to deactivate the touch pad. this new one is a little nicer and I was pleased to find it had a control where I could disable it, presumably until you manually re-enable it. I cannot remember precisely but it seems to me that it was, as you've suggested, in the system hardware devices along with mouse settings. Now, this is the VEXING part, now, it seems to be gone. How can it be gone? And why is my touch pad again active when I did nothing to make it so?

I tried to get hold of MSI, they offer "extended online and phone service" to better assist me, lol. trouble is they don't list the phone number? duh? It must be some foreign (aren't they all anymore) site doing the support and their messages to me make little sense except one that said to restore my system to factory setting with the disk but duh? I don't want to wipe out everything just for that.

If I could get hold of someone I think it must be a driver or something?

But I'm going to follow up with what you've all suggested.

On my old computer that had no deactivation available it did have where you could use Fn and F3 together that would work as a toggle but now that doesn't work either????

I dunno, VEX and maybe HEX seem to be the words of the day! :blink:

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

In the Device Manager under mouse it shows 2 different mouse settings
In the Human Interface Device it shows HID compliant consumer control device and then also another mouse.

I guess it could be the HID compliant consumer control device but that doesn't sound like what it was before. I had downloaded Driver Boost program but it wants some technical data that I'm unsure of what exactly it is so I'm batting out I guess on that. :dance:

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Now I have gotten a link to the driver I need from someone at MSI, but I don't know what to do with it when I open it all the files are shown but when I select the exe file nothing happens.

downloaded and when it opens I get a list that has the file name and then
<root>
winWDF

THEN on the right it has
autorun.inf
release.txt
setup.exe
dpinst.exe
dpinst.xml
setup.exe
synpd.inf

and a whole bunch of others

#7 gnuguy

gnuguy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Do you have Synaptics Touchpad System?
Go to 'mouse properties'
Click on 'Device Settings'
Click 'settings'
If you do have the Synaptics System the company's page will then guide you through your choices.
Before I found this my touchpad made me crazy. ( crazier )

#8 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

This is absolutely the best forum I have ever been involved with. I learn so much. I just found that "func" F3 turns on and off my touch pad on this MSI Notebook GX700. I have actually had a piece of tape holding a credit card over the pad for a couple years. Nothing mentioned in the very poorly written "owners manual".

LOOK AT THE FUNCTION KEYS. I ALWAYS FORGET THAT TOO!

WOW!

I feel so dumb!

Soap

Edited by sudsy, 27 January 2011 - 01:08 AM.

UFO pilot

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

This is absolutely the best forum I have ever been involved with. I learn so much. I just found that "func" F3 turns on and off my touch pad on this MSI Notebook GX700. I have actually had a piece of tape holding a credit card over the pad for a couple years. Nothing mentioned in the very poorly written "owners manual".

LOOK AT THE FUNCTION KEYS. I ALWAYS FORGET THAT TOO!

WOW!

I feel so dumb!

Soap

Glad you found something to help. I agree MSI's poorly written and/or missing documentation sucks big time. I've had two MSI computers which have been okay I guess, but they supply nothing to tell you what's what.

You may have, if you look under your mouse in hardware control a dedicated on/off switch for it. I had one which worked and then for some reason one day it just turned up MIA. My first MSI laptop did not have the dedicated switch/driver. The second one did and does again now!

Edited by kcsummer, 27 January 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#10 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

I finally managed to get hold of someone at MSI, which is dang frustrating but anyway. Managed to download the driver but then couldn't figure out how to extract it. Finally did that after an incredibly frustrating technological malfunction/failure kind of day.

Everything I touched yesterday needed 'help' to function. I was waiting for a callback from MSI and they never called so I wrote them a not very nice note for their not keeping their commitment. Finally, I discovered that my phone was off the hook in another room and it gives no indication it just is so it had been off and when I tried to call out I got a busy signal so I spent a great part of the day staying near the phone to get a call that couldn't come in and I couldn't call out either it seems. So that put the computer thing on hold and by the time I got through I was max on the frustration level.

Which brings me to my next topic which I guess i will start a discussion on and try to clear up another of life's mysteries. I don't think you have any category for whining do you? Like WHY are all these what should be tiny little transactions keep turning into huge issues? :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users