Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

red light, green light. My PC freezes, I lose audio and my streaming freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gettingmadintx

gettingmadintx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hi, I've just about had it. I am running a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP3. I experienced no major issues until August of 2010. I first became aware of the little game my PC was playing after installing the Shockwave Flash 10 update. Initially, the problem presented as a white screen when attempting to watch Hulu in full screen. A short time after, I began experiencing audio drops while both streaming music via Pandora or while engaged in conversation via the VOIP (non video) side of Skype. I don't recall how, but the full screen/white screen issue disappeared. The problems remaining however have proved more frustrating.

Present day, I still experience the audio problems. For example while talking on Skype to either a landline or cell phone user, I will often (but not always) hear a little pop and the audio will go out. The lone remedy I have found is to close the skype window and fully 'Quit' the program. Upon which, I will promptly hear another pop, signifying that audio functionality has resumed.

While streaming video, whether from Hulu, Netflix (especially) or an embedded YouTube on Facebook, video will play for a few moments or minutes and then will cease, freezing the frame currently showing. For the sites utilizing Flash, the remedy has been 'Disabling' then re-enabling the Shockwave Flash Add-On in Firefox. In effort to determine whether this was a Firefox issue, I installed Google Chrome and then Internet Explorer this week, only to find the same issues present. Further, I am now experiencing an intermittent 'out of virtual memory' error.

Running Firefox the other day, I did notice something that I am hopeful may be insight to finding a solution to this crap. I noticed that if I opened multiple tabs and streamed a movie via Netflix, but worked actively in a different tab that the movie streamed flawlessly. However, within minutes of selecting the Netflix tab, putting my hands in lap and chilling, the video stream would come to a screaching halt (this whether in full screen or while playing inside the browser. As well, I opened Task Manager and observed time and again that 'System Idle' would jump to 98% at nearly the precise moment that the video would freeze.

At this point, I have had more than enough. It's not a Firefox problem as proved by a recreation of the problem in Explorer and Chrome. It's not my Drivers, i've updated those. It's not Flash as evidenced by the issues Silverlight running Netflix. So my question folks, is what the bleep is it? And most importantly, how can I make this stop.
~GettingMadInTx

Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 January 2011 - 02:14 AM.
Removed HJT log. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 gettingmadintx

gettingmadintx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hDhl5n5XhbGXmMOZLaOz3kd

Hello there, linked above is what I got and thank you for the tidbit on being cautious with posting a log.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

Your video card is rather outdated and maybe incompatible with YouTube, Hulu, NetFLix and other video sites. Skype issues could be related to your old computer.

#5 gettingmadintx

gettingmadintx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Okay, gosh makes me feel like that was a waste of your expertise and for that I do apologize. Logically, I do concede to your observation. Yet, I point out that I was fine until Aug. 2010 and my gut tells me there is something more to it. I have spent hours 'googling' my woes and have noted that the streaming issues and general loss of audio is being reported by users with far more advanced and up to date systems than my own. Trust I know not a tenth of what I wish I did about PC's, but throwing that out there none the less.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:40 AM

If you can find an older version of Flash prior to August 2010, and try it and see if the issues go away. I do believe that Adobe made some drastic changes to Flash around that point and time.

#7 gettingmadintx

gettingmadintx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

Great suggestion and you are correct, the Flash version change was in August. I actually have attempted this but found that the sites required the version 10 (current) of Flash. I can't argue with the logic that the most obvious problem, is 'the' problem. *sigh* But many thanks for the speedy assistance ;~

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:52 AM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users