Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachines el1352, added video card

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

friend asked me to help him upgrade the video card in his e machine so he can run dual monitors:
Its running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

From a chat with an e machines tech it was confirmed i could upgrade the card:
tech John Joseph Bula: "you can use PCI Express® 2.0 x16 low-profile graphics card for upgrade."

I have purchased and installed an appropriate video card (PNY Geforece 210).
I installed the card and restarted the system, saw a new device bubble pop up but before i could do anything it dissappeared, i then installed the drivers from the disk.
the card is not appearing in the device manager

I am unable to get the new card to produce video output. ( the fan spins up so its getting power)
if i plug a vga cable in the monitor pops right to life, iuplug it and i get "no video signal", i have the DVI cables connected.
id heard that once you install a card like this sometimes the onboard video is automatically disabled, not so in this case
I used belarc system advisor, but it doesnt indicate a board type or manufacturer and it tells me the BIOS is : American Megatrends, Inc. P01-A1 01/28/2010

I accessed the BIOS but i am unable to turn off the on-board video, it is greyed out.
I emailed emachine support and they told me in no uncertain terms "we do not recommend or guide the customers to open the tower and upgrade the video card .You need to contact local technician or Pay for support for further support." Even though they did in fact tell me i could upgrade the vidoe and gave me a direction as stated previously.

What am i missing? Is there something i need to disable or enable with the device manager?
I am curious as to how i enable the use of an add-in video card.
Do i need to enable/disable other items, if so, how?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Some BIOS have two user profiles, user and admin, are you using the BIOS as a Admin or as a regular user? The BIOS needs to be set to Boot to PCI express lane first, there should be an option for that in there somewhere. What do you mean by it works with VGA cable plugged in? What are you plugging the VGA cable into, the integrated card, or the new one you installed?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

try this ,remove new card ,hook up onboard video to monitor , boot computer to the bios,go to where you found option to disable onboard ,my guess is it will not be greyed out .change to disable ,save settings ,turn off computer ,unplug from wall ,and add the new card ,it should boot to it ,if it doesn't it may not be correct card for your emaachine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Some BIOS have two user profiles, user and admin, are you using the BIOS as a Admin or as a regular user? The BIOS needs to be set to Boot to PCI express lane first, there should be an option for that in there somewhere. What do you mean by it works with VGA cable plugged in? What are you plugging the VGA cable into, the integrated card, or the new one you installed?

I dont see any way to change BIOS profiles, would that be an obvious choice made somewhere?
When i plug the vga cable in its to the onboard VGA receptacle.

try this ,remove new card ,hook up onboard video to monitor , boot computer to the bios,go to where you found option to disable onboard ,my guess is it will not be greyed out .change to disable ,save settings ,turn off computer ,unplug from wall ,and add the new card ,it should boot to it ,if it doesn't it may not be correct card for your emaachine

I will give that a try,

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

just want to say i have never seen a bios with user profiles ,and cant imagin there is such a beast

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

just want to say i have never seen a bios with user profiles ,and cant imagin there is such a beast

+1

#7 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

quick question, i am going to take the add-in card out, plug the monitor in to the onboard vga and disable( hoepfully) the onboard video from BIOS.
Reinstall card, restart and hope fully the card is recognized.
BUT what if its not?
Meaning, that by disabling the onboard VGA, does that turn off all the video running to it?
Will i be able to access the bios to re-enable onboard video if i turned it off?

Also

The BIOS needs to be set to Boot to PCI express lane first, there should be an option for that in there somewhere.

Any truth to this?

Edited by BNDAZ, 23 January 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Nearly every computer I build has user profiles in the BIOS-admin, and normal user. Normal user just allows you to see everything and not change anything-admin or supervisor-allows you to change the options. Then again, Most of the computers I mess with these days are custom jobs-Pre-built computers may not have that option, but I would dare say if you buy a custom motherboard without such profiles you are likely being ripped off. In any case, it was a thought.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

quick question, i am going to take the add-in card out, plug the monitor in to the onboard vga and disable( hoepfully) the onboard video from BIOS.
Reinstall card, restart and hope fully the card is recognized.
BUT what if its not?
Meaning, that by disabling the onboard VGA, does that turn off all the video running to it?
Will i be able to access the bios to re-enable onboard video if i turned it off?

yes you will be able to hook to onboard and boot to bios to reinable the onboard .

Also

The BIOS needs to be set to Boot to PCI express lane first, there should be an option for that in there somewhere.

Any truth to this?

not sure maybe on some boards ,but i have a Dell optplex with onboard and a pci-e , that i have used both devices from time to time and i never had to do anything in the bios to make it work or go back to onboard

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Nearly every computer I build has user profiles in the BIOS-admin, and normal user. Normal user just allows you to see everything and not change anything-admin or supervisor-allows you to change the options. Then again, Most of the computers I mess with these days are custom jobs-Pre-built computers may not have that option, but I would dare say if you buy a custom motherboard without such profiles you are likely being ripped off. In any case, it was a thought.

maybe i missed it' maybe i just don't work on new enough boards ,but really never seen a bios with admin only section.
when i google bios admin or user profiles all i fine is info about bios passwords.

edit: just found one post about it ,must be something in new bios .i haven't worked on something newer that a socket 775 ,guess thats why .

Edited by caperjac, 23 January 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

thers not a admin only section-its all the same-usually theres an option that you click user or supervisor, and if you click user, then you can access the whole BIOS but you cant change anything, if you choose supervisor then you can access the entire BIOS still-just change things. This usually only comes in affect (probably 99% of the computers Ive messed with) if you set a password, otherwise it doesn't matter its default Supervisor and you can change everything-but its the 1% that doesnt that I figured might be the case here. Its obvious Im wrong, but thats ok-it was worth a try.

picard5.jpg

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Also

Any truth to this?

Should be the option somewhere in the video section, by the onboard video option I would think. Sometimes there is not. Do you happen to know what BIOS you have? (it will normally tell you either somewhere in the BIOS, or when you turn the computer on it should say "award Bios version x.xx or something like that) We might be able to better assist you if we knew what BIOS you have, as I cannot find the user manual online anywhere.

picard5.jpg

#13 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

so a little update:
if i try to disable onboard video in BIOS it is grayed out regardless of whether the card is installed or not.

emachines support says that installing card should disable onboard video.

PNY 9500GT low profile card installed, restart.
card isnt recognized( but fan powers up)nothing displays in device manager
monitor reads "analog" and displays "normally"
So, curious if i leave the onboard VGA attached to the monitor, while also having the DVi-D digital attached as well, will the machine automatically choose the analog connection first?

must i completely disconnect the vga cable from the on board port in order to get the card to be recognized?
i tried disabling on board video in device manager and restarted, but that just made it a lower resolution analog connection.( with vga and dvi cables both running to monitor)

starting to wonder if the card is bad

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

Yes, in order to get the dedicated card to work, with many OEM machines you must completly disconnect the onboard video, otherwise the system will have a hard time figuring out which card to initialize. Only hook up the dedicated card. If that fails to work, I would try a different PCI express power cable (if applicable, I dont know if that card requires one or not) and if possible, try the video card in a different computer.

Edited by the_patriot11, 03 February 2011 - 03:17 AM.

picard5.jpg

#15 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

ok i will try again with the on-board completely disconnected from anything, this particular card does not have a need for additional power so that isn't the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users