Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues running programs in windowed mode and windows keeps going non-genuine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Okay, so I've got two problems here. The first is that my windows keeps randomly deciding not to be genuine. I run notepad or any other default windows program and a box comes up saying windows isn't genuine and gives me a link to go make my windows genuine. I go to the link, (which takes me to a microsoft web page, I don't remember the exact url, but when it happens again, I'll make sure to note it down so I can post it here, if you want) and I download a windows activator program thingy, which then makes my windows genuine again and all's well. I've noticed that, when the problem happens, if I pull up system information (windows key + pause) I see that windows activation status is not available and my windows key is not available, but once I run the activator, then they both go back to normal. It's happened about 4 times, now. It doesn't cause any major issues for me, but it does worry me greatly.

My second problem is really confusing and I've asked a few other computer savvy people I know for help, but none seem to know what's going on. When I try to run any games in windowed mode, or even when I watch movies, I get triangular shapes on the screen. The shapes seems to be sections of the video that lag behind by a frame or two. There's nothing visually there, it's just that sections of the screen seem to lag behind, kind of like when you try to run a game on a really old system that can barely handle it, but the games don't push my system anywhere near its limit. Some of the games giving me this problem are Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (the first, not modern warfare 2), Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 2, and Just Cause 2. Also, when I attempt to play videos on my computer (from low resolution videos downloaded from youtube up to dvd's I put into my disc drive and run at high definition) have the problem. I've noticed the problem seems a bit worse in vlc media player than in windows media player, but the problems are still there. The sound plays just fine in all of these cases, but the video has those triangles where the video lags behind. They're not consistently there, but flash on the screen whenever there's a lot going on in the display.

Also, when I run my games in full screen, the problem seems to just disappear, though running videos in full screen has no effect (I believe videos don't actually run full screen in the same way games do, so I'm assuming that's why there's a difference). Also, with Modern Warfare, specifically, I get an error about one of my directx dll's, which I had memorized, but I'm drawing a blank it at the moment. I'll try to reproduce the error and post up the details of it tomorrow, as I'm on starbucks internet and they're going to close really soon. I've tried updating my video card drivers, rolling back to a previous driver and updating directx, but nothing seems to work.

Also, I'm not sure if it's of any consequence, but my laptop came with a hybrid video card (nvidia gt 420m and intel hd graphics) and dxdiag will only show me the intel hd graphics. It reports no errors, but I'll attach the report to this post, anyway, so you can see it.

Hardware Summary:
NVidia GT 420M (1GB Dedicated VRAM)
4GB DDR3 RAM (1 - 6 GB Pagefile, system managed)
500 GB Hard Drive
Realtek Audio
Intel i3-370M (2.4GHZ, 3MB L3 cache)

Sofware Summary:
Avast Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy

Oh, as I mentioned, the Starbucks I'm using for internet is closing really soon, so I won't be able to reply to any posts on this thread till tomorrow, but I'll try to be on first thing to check for replies. Thanks so much for any help you can provide, you guys are so awesome to help people out like this. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Nobody out there that can give me any information?

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

Call MS to get your non-genuine problem solved. This is your first priority.
edit to add instructions :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Edited by Jacee, 05 February 2011 - 12:06 AM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:38 AM

Well, currently, my windows is genuine. It just on random occasions likes to spontaneously go non-genuine, but then I just run the validation tool I download from microsoft's website and it's back to normal for a random amount of time. Strangely, it hasn't gone non-genuine since a couple days before I made the original post on this thread. Thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and call them up about it and see what they say, but I won't be able to do it till tomorrow because it's so late. (well, technically later today, since it is 3 in the morning. x.x )

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. :D

#5 Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

Okay, so I got the generic "Well, if it's not broken, call us when it is" response on the genuineness of windows. It hasn't done it in a while now, though, so I'm hoping that problem somehow just fixed itself (perhaps a windows update fixed it or something).

Any ideas on the video problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users