Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding drivers for an old alienware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spazik

spazik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi,

I received an old alienware aurora as payment for fixing a friends custom build and am turning it into a media/gaming server for my house. I needed to put in a new hdd and I've installed a crisp clean copy of windows xp pro that I had. It runs just fine except for one thing, I CAN'T FIND THE DANG ETHERNET DRIVER ANYWHERE!!! I found A network adapter driver for an aurora but it doesnt work with this rig, I think it might be for the laptop version of this desktop. Is there any place I can look to find the driver besides the alienware website? or is there any way to find the correct model number for the desktop/ethernet adapter in the chassis? I would really appreciate any help in the matter. I'd really like a server to mess around with and this seemed like a good chance, but I'm a bit frazzled at the moment.

Information on the hardware I have been able to find: alienware aurora, AMD athlon 64bit cpu @ 2.20GHZ, 1gb ram, 149gb hdd. The MOBO has the brand mark of "VIA"

as a side note if it helps when I boot the ASUS logo pops up which I found interesting.

***UPDATE*** the MOBO is a ASUS K8V-MX/S which is an OEM board from what I've read and is not supported by ASUS but instead by Siemens under the model number Siemens D1711 SO I'm trying to do a bit more digging for a driver but any ideas tips links or help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by spazik, 23 January 2011 - 01:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

hi, did you try the one .click on download and then choose you OS version
http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp

Edited by caperjac, 23 January 2011 - 02:26 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 spazik

spazik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

hi, did you try the one .click on download and then choose you OS version
http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp

Hi caperjac,

I have tried that but the K8V-MX has different drivers than the K8V-MX/S I tried the ethernet driver for the K8V-MX but it did not work. =/

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:15 AM

http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html
try this site using the d1711 model number,just pick your os from the list

Edited by caperjac, 24 January 2011 - 06:16 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 spazik

spazik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html
try this site using the d1711 model number,just pick your os from the list

For my OS it does not list the ethernet driver. I got a cd from a friend that has a ton of drivers, and I think I may have found a place to get the original CD's that were supposed to come with this model, so I'm hoping one of those will solve the problem. Thank you for your help though caperjac!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users