Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp is acting up. keeps on restarting every time i run something

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ma_giselle

ma_giselle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

I've been troubleshooting this since yesterday and this isn't my first issue. To give you a summary of my devices, check details below. my main concern is on my mom's old desktop by the way.

item A: mom's old desktop
P4vmm2
one 512 ram and one 128
40gb IDE HDD
win xp

item B: spares
an intel mobo
512 ram

item C: my personal desktop whose working properly
160 IDE HDD
250 Sata HDD
2gb ram
win 7

basically, all i want to do is to fix my mom's computer. it had a virus almost a year ago so they stopped using it and since they badly need an additional pc for their business, im trying to fix it.
steps:

1. to make things easy, i decided to reformat her 40gb IDE HDD. on my journey to that, i had a hard time with the re-installation of the OS. the first OS was win7, after deleting the partitions and copying of new windows files, it suddenly hangs up.

2. i've tried it 3times and gave me same result so i created a new win7 copy just to make sure its not the cd then tried it again, still same result.

3.then i used xp installer thinking it might be the version of OS thats malfunctioning. i used win xp, win xp sp1 and win xp sp2. on ramdom parts, its giving me an error on the installation or hangs up at different sections. usually on driver related sections.

4. i then replaced my ide cables. i replaced it with the cables that i'm using with my personal desktop to make sure the cords are properly working. i also placed my cmos battery on that old pc to make sure--its only about 3mos old battery. still the same result.

5. i started doubting its a mobo issue so i removed everything and tested the two ram slots with my 1ram cards--one at a time. mobo never act up at any point.

6. to test the 40gb HDD and the dvdr, i hooked it up to my personal desktop and installed OS. i was able to install win 7 and win xp sp2(one at a time) on that kind of setup and was able to use it for at least 1hour each. maybe my mom's desktop is just so slow, i thought causing the installation errors. what i did next is to test the 40gb HDD with OS on my mom's old mobo. both win7 and xp's gave me restarts after the start ups. totally no BSOD's or errors.

---------i've been repeatings troubleshooting steps like transferring of pc parts and re-installation attempts of OS on different events in between the steps that i wrote, then decided to stick with win xp sp2 created on my personal hdd and separating my personal pc with the damaged one----------

7. when i was about to gave up, i planned to use my spare working mobo. during the tweaking of my spare mobo and my mom's mobo, i had a screen output issue. so i just set everything back to its original settings then replaced the 128ram of my mom to my spare 512ram. that very instant i said ill give this a shot one last time to see if theres any progress, the xp was able to finish the start up process and showed a lot of pop up about hardware wizard. it gives me a warning that microsoft strongly recommends me to stop the driver installation of those. there are times that im the one who initiates the restart after the driver installation then gives me few restarts before finishing the win start ups. and there are also times when the xp automatically restart few times.

8. it takes me about 5-10 auto restart before showing options to safeboot etc. what ever option i select, it never push through but every after that event, windows successfully finish start up part. then the hardware wizard goes on and on and on. no driver is properly detected. i played with it for few hours, attempting to install uninstall and disable some devices on the device manager. then finally the network adapter was detected and i was able to hook up to the internet.

9. since windows now started to open, i tried installing things but always fail. i tried "sfc /scannow" installing/disabling devices detected by hardware wizard, installing chrome, adobe reader and anti-virus softwares but always end up either the pc auto restarts or gives me an error msg that the installer downloaded encountered an error and cant push through the installation.

10. so now, when i opened the pc and let it do nothing, greater chance that it wont act up. doing restarts hoping the old pc would auto detect and cure itself =(

i hope somebody would seriously help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Do the above on both systems and post the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users