Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing Hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rjosro

rjosro

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hey, I just got a request to fix my landlords computer today; the computer (its a Compaq Presario, but I don't know much more about it because it wont boot)is getting the "hal.dll is missing or corrupt" error, usually fixed by the recovery console

running windows xp professional. my landlord does not have recovery console, or the oem cd, or a floppy drive. I tried downloading an iso version of the recovery console, but for some reason, it will not boot to that cd, even though it is properly burned, i figure that its because there is maybe a required boot file missing from the iso or something, but i am not sure.

In short, is there a way to fix the "hal.dll is missing or corrupt" error with pretty much nothing to work with but the internet and a blank cd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

Hi rjosro -
Can you borrow a XP CD for the system - You may be able to boot the system from this -
You only need to start it (have you tried safe mode F8) tapping F8 as you power up ??

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00044897&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

@ Louis

Your link doesn't work for me: "HP was unable to find the page you wanted."

@ rjosro

FYI: An XP installation CD, or an XP Recovery Console CD will generally not boot the system if the computer has a SATA hard drive, until either the appropriate setting in BIOS is changed, or the SATA drivers for the motherboard are loaded.

What exactly happens when you attempt to boot from the Recovery Console CD that you have burned? Are you able to test that the CD works OK by booting another computer from it?

Please elaborate on how you burned the .ISO image to CD, even though you have stated "it is properly burned".
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 rjosro

rjosro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

i was finally able to get the recovery cd to work, but fixboot and fix mbr didnt fix it, so i tried running chkdsk, and it acts VERY strange, at about 15 percent, the screen slowly starts to fade to white, but only in spots around the edge, till eventually the entire screen resembles a broken, white lcd screen. attempting to run "expand" gives me the access is denied error, so i am at another standstill

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

There is a very good chance that the hard drive is no longer with us.

Download and run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

If you tell us the brand of hard drive in the system, we can point you at the right download. You can determine the brand by reading the label on the hard drive itself, but perhaps an easier way would be to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and look at the information/code given related to the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, AA...HP moved the info, I replaced the link with a current one :).

Louis

#8 rjosro

rjosro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

what i mean is, i downloaded a recovery cd iso, and used imgburn to burn it to a bootable cd rom so that i would be able to run the recovery tool, i am also now able to run the recovery and all that good stuff. the problem is, the cd i burned is only the recovery tool, not the rest of windows xp

i cant run the diagnostics tool on the hard drive because i have no way to get to windows =(

edit: i forgot to note this, but when logging on to the recovery console a few things are "off"

i am not prompted to choose an xp installation, or type an admin password, it just boots straight to C:\>

and typing "dir" brings up the error "an error occurred during directory enumeration.

lastly, attempting to change hal.dll's attributes also doesnt work

Edited by rjosro, 23 January 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi -
Any results with Safe Mode , or can't you still not access this also - Several fixes can be run from safe mode -
You may not have the full XP to work with but it is still a way into much of the system -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 24 January 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

when logging on to the recovery console ..... i am not prompted to choose an xp installation, or type an admin password, it just boots straight to C:\>
and typing "dir" brings up the error "an error occurred during directory enumeration.

The XP Recovery Console is not seeing the Windows installation, and appears to be having trouble reading the HDD.

Please tell us the make/manufacturer of the HDD, so that we can point you at the correct diagnostic tool to download and burn to CD, with which to boot the afflicted computer.

One way to do this is to enter the BIOS Setup Menu, and look at the HDD details presented there. You can enter the Setup Menu by pressing the appropriate key shortly after pressing the ON button. The key could be either DEL or F2: "Enter the Setup Menu", along with which key to press, will be shown on the screen shortly after pressing the ON button.

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 January 2011 - 12:58 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 rjosro

rjosro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

the hard drive is listed as "st9402213A -(PM) that is the only information in the bios about the hard drive

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

st9402213A

Would you please check and confirm that those details are correct.

ST... is indicating a Seagate drive, but I can get no result using Google for st9402213A.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 rjosro

rjosro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

neither could i, its really wierd, but there is no further information about it in the bios, perhaps there is a general seagate diagnostics tool?

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:36 AM

The "st940" may be correct but the rest of the code doesn't match up. "ST3..." is a very common beginning for Seagate HDDs.

Please go to Seagate's SeaTools download page, and download SeaTools for DOS.

If you don't have a suitable burning program to write an .ISO image file, download ImgBurn and install it. Open ImgBurn, and choose to "Write image file to disc", and then navigate to the .ISO file that you have just downloaded. The completed CD will then be bootable.

Boot the afflicted machine with with the CD that you have just burned, and run the short test and then the long test.
  • Basic Tests > Short test
  • Basic Tests > Long test

Please let us know the result of each test.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 rjosro

rjosro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

i got it to burn and load, but i cant seem to navigate any of the menus because i cant get past the eula, the keyboard works, but it wont let me navigate past this point, as if its not reading it, but the keyboard functions in every other menu im able to get into

enabling emulation of usb peripherals is apparently not an option in my bios ._.

edit: i was wrong about the number afterall

the correct number is ST9402113A

edit: okay...i downloaded and burned the ultimate boot disk and ran some of the utilities, none of the reformat ones seem to work, they all freeze up. the seagate utility doesnt detect the drive at all...im really starting to suspect this drive has passed on

Edited by rjosro, 25 January 2011 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users