Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen & Unable to Safemode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ANGELICA1029

ANGELICA1029

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Please help. My laptop suddenly shut off last night and when I turn it back on I get the "windows did not shut down normally" with the option to 3 safe modes, last good config, start normally. If I pick any of the safe mode options, I get the screen filled with drivers but it freezes there. If I pick normal or last config, i just get the black screen. I cant find my XP cd to re-load windows but I can borrow one soon. What is wrong and how can I fix it???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Can you boot into safe mode?

If so...do it, then Starr/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

If the chkdsk /r runs, it will do so...then boot into XP automatically.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

What were you doing at the time the laptop "suddenly shut off"? Did anything unusual happen just before it shut off?

You said: "If I pick any of the safe mode options, I get the screen filled with drivers but it freezes there."
What is the last driver that you see listed on the screen?
How long have you waited to see whether anything happens?
Try Safe Mode again, and this time leave it an hour to see whether Windows eventually loads.

You said: "If I pick normal or last config, i just get the black screen."
What exactly is "the black screen"?
Please describe exactly (in detail) what happens when you attempt to start Windows normally.

Thank you.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Boot to the XP CD and choose the FIRST repair option (that will take you to the recovery console). Once there, run chkdsk /r - let it run to completion. Reboot. What happens?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users