Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Server?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

(Sorry if this isn't the most appropriate section, I found it to be the most suitable.)

I want to open a small server for Minecraft and/or Garrysmod (possibly others, not all at once) and I don't like the idea of paying monthly to run a small server for just me and a couple friends to play on. I've tried to learn things myself but I'm just not getting very far. First of all, I read that I can get in trouble for hosting a game from my PC with certain service providers. Can someone elaborate? Second, how well would a computer with 4GB DDR3 RAM and a Phenom II x4 955 fare running 2 game servers with very few people on them?

I could definitely limit it to one, that wouldn't be a problem. And lastly, my internet speed. 1.38Mb/s Download Speed, 0.43Mb/s ,Upload Speed, 39ms Ping, < 50 Miles from my home. Run #2, 1.95Mb/s Download, 0.42Mb/s Upload, 70m ms Ping, Server was ~ 150 Miles away. I know a little about connection speeds and I know these aren't horrible but how well would they fare hosting a game? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Torn05, 22 January 2011 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

Should I post this in a different section?

#3 brodie1600

brodie1600

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Greetings, Torn05!

To calculate how many theoretical players your server can hold, use this formula:

your upload speed in Mbps / 0.04
So you can hold about 11 players on your server.

However, 11 players will completely max out your bandwidth and your players will experience lag, disconnections, and other annoyances. Remember that this number is just the theoretical max players that you can hold. To be more realistic, you need to assume that only 75% of your total bandwidth will be available to your server at any given time.

To work out the realistic max players your server can hold, use this formula:
theoretical max players * 0.75

So you'll be safe hosting about 8 people.

I'm not sure how HL2 and Gary's Mod servers function (I'm only familiar with World of Warcraft servers), so I wouldn't really be able to tell you about different ways in hosting your server.

I hope this helps! =)

#4 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Thank you very much! This helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users