Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hookie

Hookie

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hi Guys,
wanting to setup a wireless network in my home and really am confused with all the computer jargon i have being reading in the forums and wondered could someone advise me on the proper hardware i need to connect,and if my system is compatilable.I know i need a router but which kind.
I've just bought a new laptop and am definite it is ready for wireless.(I think)
Really would appreciate any help as i am trying to get this setup for Xmas.(You guessed it,Xmas box)

Sorry,i forgot to mention that i connect to the internet through BT BROADBAND SpeedTouch 330 ADSL Modem USB

Regards,

Seamey.T

System: XP Pro SP2
AMD Sempron™Processor 2800+
Ver:x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
Speed:1607 MHz
80G HD
512 MB RAM
Network Card:WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Laptop:Toshiba Satellite Pro L10
Windows XP Pro
Pentium M Centrino
1,6GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB HDr
Wireless Networking 802.11b/g
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshiba_Sat...N/version-2.asp

Edited by Hookie, 12 December 2005 - 05:23 PM.

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbour. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." 

5411sq6.jpg

"May the devil never know you are dead a half after you arrive in heaven".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

I'm no router expert but a problem I see is your DSL modem is USB connected. Would I be correct to assume the Speedtouch330 does not have an ethernet port? This may make it difficult to find a router that is compatible with the modem since (I think) most routers do not have USB ports.

There are, of course, several ways around this, which is best depends on what type of network you want to set up:

1) You can replace the modem with a DSL capable wireless router. Put a wireless network card in your desktop and you will have an expandable wireless network with internet access (If the desktop is never going to be moved away from the router then just connect it via the network card to the routers network ports - that saves the cost of a wireless card.) Problem - your ISP may have strict limitations on what kind of equipment (e.g. router) it allows you to connect. Your plan may only allow one PC to be connected - you need to check your contract terms to clarify this.

2) You can leave the DSL side alone and connect a wireless access point (WAP) to the network card on your PC. Set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on that PC and then you will have an expandable wireless network in your home but internet access will only be available when your desktop PC is online.

3) If you only want to be able to connect your laptop then put a wireless network card in your PC, setup ICS as in option 2, and the PC and laptop will be networked on what's called an Ad-hoc basis. I'm not sure of the limitations of ad-hoc connections (ones that don't use a WAP) you may not be able to connect multiple computers that way, they may not be as reliable a connection or not as secure. (If someone else does not comment i may have to do a bit more reading.)

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 13 December 2005 - 08:18 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Hookie

Hookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

Hi Rimmer,thanks for the reply,reading it i just knew there would be a problem.
My main aim in all this wireless technology is to have two computers at home were as my daughter can roam the house and feel free to logon at anytime without me having to be at my Pc.

I got in touch with my ISP provider just as you stated,they recommend i use a DSL capable wireless router and there was no problem to connect a Laptop to the system,they even recommended the "Netgear DG834G".

Would you recommend this router,as i've seen hundreds online and "Netgear" seems a good reliable name.

My desktop will be staying put with the router along side but i don't fancy having to go online each time my daughter wants to logon with her Laptop,surely there must be a way round this.

As for this AD-hoc setup basis,you've got me lost.I thought this was all just a matter of getting a router,following the Wizards install instructions and,hey you're up and running,glad now i came here first.

You're first option seems the best and it seems there are no problems with my ISP so i will do a bit more reading up on the above router and hope to hear from you.

Seamey.T

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbour. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." 

5411sq6.jpg

#4 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hi There,

Ive set up a lot of wireless networks for home and work, let me know what you find out and let me know if you need any more help.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:01 PM

Since your ISP is happy for you to use a DSL modem wireless router then option 1 in my previous post is the best way to go. Both you and your daughter (and other wireless capable PCs/laptops in your home) will be able to connect to the internet independently once they are configured. You will also be able to share files and printers between your systems just as you would on a normal wired network.

"Netgear DG834G" - I don't know that particular router but I've used lots of Netgear wireless products in the past and never had a problem with them.

If the laptop is already wireless capable then all you need to purchase is the router and a Cat5E patch cable to connect your PC. Check the ISPs website for configuration data for the router if you don't already have it.

Be sure to setup wireless security on your network to prevent neighbours getting a free ride on your bandwidth and to stop hackers getting into your PCs. The Netgear manual will explain what to do but post back if you have specific questions.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Hookie

Hookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Rimmer for your sound advice,knew you'd come good.
Was on the Web checking out that router and most have gave it 99% rating so think i will pop out tomorrow and buy one.

Would hope to have things sorted sometime next week,reason for taking so long,being, when i unpacked the new Laptop to check it out,it had 4 dead pixels on the screen so it has to be returned and replaced,just my luck.

I will keep you posted on how events unfold but once again thank you for the help,

Seamey.T :thumbsup:

5411sq6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users