Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SeanMadd

SeanMadd

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation.

^That is the error message I keep receiving every time I start up my computer. I click OK, and then my computer restarts itself. I have done 2 system restores so far(from safe mode). It's driving me nuts! I've had computer problems since November, please help :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Please be more specific...when attempting to describe known system problems...particularly those which you seem to have put up with for a long time.

System manufacturer and model?

If you can, please follow the directions provided at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

How do you know that your computer problems began in November? What happened then to initiate or signal problems?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2011 - 06:11 PM.
Corrected link.

#4 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Well.. I got it back from repair in about November from a bad virus. Then installed AVG 2011 and Service pack 2, then uninstalled AVG(it was supposedly 'fighting' with my norton anti virus and that's how I got infected), and then.. this happened. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure, but my entire problem is discussed in this forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365174.html

#5 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Please be more specific...when attempting to describe known system problems...particularly those which you seem to have put up with for a long time.

If you can, please follow the directions provided in Posting a screen shot with Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic363674.html/page__pid__2036086#entry2036086

How do you know that your computer problems began in November? What happened then to initiate or signal problems?

Loui9

Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Model: DY141A-ABU a510.uk

Sorry, I couldn't view that link because an error occurred.
Hmm.. Again, I'm not entirely sure. Please see the link I posted above for details on my entire problem.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

So you had two AV's active at the same time. Okay. After you uninstalled AVG you did leave Norton AntiVirus running resident, correct? If the answer is yes, try booting to safe mode. Do you get the same message (I'm guessing not)?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Sorry about the link, i have corrected :).

Louis

#8 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

So you had two AV's active at the same time. Okay. After you uninstalled AVG you did leave Norton AntiVirus running resident, correct? If the answer is yes, try booting to safe mode. Do you get the same message (I'm guessing not)?

Yes, I left on norton. And no, the message did not come up in safe mode.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Good. Just to confirm - you have only ONE anti virus utility active, yes?

Please run msconfig. Choose "selective startup" (uncheck EVERYTHING) and reboot. Do you see the virtual memory message? If so, we have to look elsewhere. But if not, start adding startup items back one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the message reappears and we'll have identified the offending process. Post back when appropriate please.

#10 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Good. Just to confirm - you have only ONE anti virus utility active, yes?

Please run msconfig. Choose "selective startup" (uncheck EVERYTHING) and reboot. Do you see the virtual memory message? If so, we have to look elsewhere. But if not, start adding startup items back one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the message reappears and we'll have identified the offending process. Post back when appropriate please.

Okay, so after I last posted I didn't turn on my computer, until yesterday. My computer started up and it got as far as the XP logo, then a black screen came up, and it re-booted. It then kept repeating this process, so I had to go into safe mode. Obviously, the message didn't come up because my computer re-booted just before. If you checked out the link I posted, I'm back to that problem :(

Also, I did what you told me above, and now my internet on the sick computer doesn't work.(Currently working via laptop)

Oh, and also, I have norton antivirus on my computer right now. I'm not ENTIRELY sure if that's the only one running, but I also have malewarebytes.. if that counts?

Edited by SeanMadd, 28 January 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

So you did a selective startup in msconfig - is that correct? If so, when you reboot do you get into Windows? If so, do you see the memory error?

#12 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Yes. No, I cannot get into windows, BUT i can get in my holding down F8 and going into safe mode, but I cannot get in by simply turning on my computer.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Okay. Go back to msconfig and go back to normal mode.

#14 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Ok, went to misconfig, ticked the boxes, and restarted. The message came up again. Now what? Oh, and I can't actually access my computer in "normal mode", the computer restarts after I click OK on the message.

#15 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

If you can, please follow the directions provided at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MeEBNdWOpVHoAeoHlygKUrw

Sorry I took so long. And I'm not sure why it won't initialize them..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users