Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled XP and no sound

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 emaofssi

emaofssi

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have a Dell XPS with a good sound system and am totally aggravated because I recently reinstalled XP
and now have no sound. I've tried lots of things and found lots of hits but have been unable to fix the problem.
I really am trying to avoid reinstalling.
First I found the onboard multimedia controller had been disabled in BIOS. I turned that back on and downloaded drivers from Dell's site but still no luck. The card says sound audigy 2 zs but when I try to load that driver it says no matching device found on system.
I uninstalled the sound drivers and rebooted and it automatically installs the RealTek AC'97 Audio but still no sound.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Elaine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

What model XPS system?

Louis

#3 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

It's an XPS 600

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

XPS 600 Specs

I see no indication that Realtek drivers should be installed.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_PNT_P4_DXG&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid= , I would install the Creative Labs driver.

I would also take a look at The Driver Install Instructions at above webpage.

Louis

#5 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hmm. I see Realtek ALC850 AC97 AUDIO in the list and Creative Labs.
When I try the Creative Labs it says unable to detect supported product on the system.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hmm. I see Realtek ALC850 AC97 AUDIO in the list and Creative Labs.
When I try the Creative Labs it says unable to detect supported product on the system.

It tells you that because the drivers are not installed for your Creative Labs device. How did you install the driver? (from cd, download from Creative)

I uninstalled the sound drivers and rebooted and it automatically installs the RealTek AC'97 Audio but still no sound.

If you want to use RealTek:

Did you plug your speakers into the port used by RealTek? If they are plugged into your Creative sound card, unhook the speakers from there and plug into the RealTek port, which is higher up the back of your tower.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 January 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#7 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

When I try to install the Creative Labs -driver from Dell for the XPS 600- it says unable to detect supported product on the system.

The speakers worked, I reinstalled windows and now they don't.
I did not change speaker ports.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Which device did you have the speakers plugged into BEFORE you reinstalled Windows XP? If they were plugged into your sound card, and are still in your sound card, you will have to hook them into the Realtek device IF Realtek drivers are installed.

Instead of trying to get Creative drivers from Dell (which you likely won't find there because Creative cards are after-market and you will need either the driver cd or a download from the manufacturer) go here http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nDriverType=1#type_1 for the drivers.

#9 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

This is the original config from Dell, nothing added.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

OOPS, I was incorrect. I did look at the specs for your system using the link Hamluis posted and overlooked the section that states Sound Blaster AudigyTM 2 ZS with Dolby 5.1

The second time I looked at your computer specs, I saw it.

However, Creative is a seperate card so try the driver download from the manufacturer website.

#11 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

I don't have a creative card. My profile says to use the Realtek driver which I installed but still no sound.

#12 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi,
try here ..... http://www.station-drivers.com/page/sblive-audigy.htm .... i think the one you need is at the top!!

Have you tried removing the drivers and the card ?? Start> Right click Computer> Properties> Hardware> Device Manager> Sound Video and Game controllers> right click sound driver> Uninstall driver.
Shut down your machine..... Isolate the power source.. i.e unplug the kettle lead, press and hold down your powerup button for at least 30 sec's. ground yourself to release any static that you may have by touching a radiator or tap.Remove the casing of your machine and remove the sound card. Boot your machine so that it does not recognise your card. Power down as instructed before. replace soundcard and power up again, your machine should now recognise your soundcard as "new hardware" follow the promts and your your machine should find the best match for your soundcard.
I hope this helps!!
Iain.

Edited by odin88, 23 January 2011 - 11:27 AM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Can you download the following: Speccy, then install it. Run the program and perform a Public Snapshot via File > Publish Snapshot, then post the link here.

#14 emaofssi

emaofssi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Speccy hangs up my desktop whenever I run it.
I did see in the Audio all it had was USB Audio Device.
I did uninstall the sound devices in Device Manager but Realtek and USB reinstall on boot.

Thanks,
Elaine

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Are the drivers for RealTek installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users