Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not recognizing cd drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

My dell desktop is not recognizing my cd drive. I downloaded speccy and it even said no optical drive detected. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Thank you for your time.

-sharpie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Does the system see the drive at boot (insert a BOOTABLE disk, make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order, reboot)?

#3 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

you should be able to hit f12 when the bios is up to get a boot menu without having to mess with the boot order. if it gives you the option in the boot menu to boot to cd then it sees the cd drive in the bios. if you do go into the bios then if you see anything about your cd drive in there then it shouldn't be a problem with the drive but possibly a software issue.

edit: i have used this fix on multiple computers that were having issues with seeing the cd drive. the article says something about vista but i have used it on xp and it worked. it is deleting the upper and lower filters out of the registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Edited by datastream, 22 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

i used that link and it found the problem with the drive, but it couldnt fix it...

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

it doesnt even show up when i hit f12 during boot up. everything else does except that.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Does the system see the drive at boot (insert a BOOTABLE disk, make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order, reboot)?

#7 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

if it is not showing up in the boot menu when you hit f12 then it is probably bad. make sure it is all plugged in. you can also hit f2 to go into the bios and make sure that the cd drive is enabled. if it is, try a new drive.

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

i went to the bios and it doesnt show up. does that mean that mean that the drive is bad?

#9 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

more than likely. try a or different drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users