Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program problems + problems on bootup after defrag!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JamesNeedsHelp

JamesNeedsHelp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Alright so to start off, lemme list my computer's specs ( I'm saying off the top of my head since I can't actually see the specs, you'll understand why later)

Inspiron, Dell.
Vista 64 bit
Intel Dual Core@ 2.80Ghz
5GBs of DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4770
500W PSU
A 500GB Internal hardrive
700 External
1TB External

so.. last night, I downloaded defraggler, and left it over night to defrag. When I woke up it was 93%, so I went to brush my teeth, etc. When I came back it was done. So I ran Speccy, to see if my computer was getting hot, since I barely leave it on over night. When I ran Speccy an error message came up saying ""mmci.dll" was missing or not compatible".. something along those lines.

So then I decide to start up Firefox to look up the error. Automatically; FireFox Crash Reporter. Tried again. Same thing, again and again. Still the same.

Thinking my viruses from a while back, was back. I ran Malwarebytes. "Run-Time Error-5" upon startup

Let's try another scanner... Spybot Search and Destroy. It starts running and in the bottom right corner, a speech bubble keeps popping up constantly during the scan, saying files are missing, and to run chkdsk So I do it, and it lists a lot of errors and such, but still nothing works. I try another browser; using Google Chrome. It works. But I can't really find an answer to all of my problems.

I try MineCraft. Doesn't even load up.

Steam; comes up with a error.

Ventrillo; Works.

Wondering why some things work some doesn't. I decide to reboot to try and fix the problems.
I turn on my computer, and it does this file check thing, and then it recovers tens of thousands of "Orphan" files.

The DELL bios thing starts loading (as it normally does) but then it goes to the black page saying Windows wasn't shut off normally last time.. and I can either Start up repair, or start windows normally. I start Windows normally, and the microsoft bar loads. Screen goes blank for a 1-2 seconds. Then loads the Dell bios thing agan. Then yet again goes to the black page for me to choose repair or start up normally.

I try normally again, and it loops me back to the same spot. So I try repair this time. It brings me to the Microsoft Loading screen, then I see the Vista icon thing, and it starts glowing (as normal) but then it makes me choose a user. But the only user available is "Other User" the ease of Access is there at the bottom left corner, but pressing it does nothing.

How ever, I am the only one that goes on that computer, and the only account I have (the admin account [James]) I do not have a password set. So I have no idea where this "Other User" account came from. I can't go on by not entering any password/user name.

So I try James, without a password. And it says something about a domain. . . theres nothing I can do now, I press the power button (pressed, not hold&) and it powered down. I booted it up again, and this time I spam f8, and try to get to Safe mode. It's loading the window's files, and it get's stuck at crcdisk.sys . It just hang's there, and then loads to the Dell bios again, and yet again it goes to the black screen asking me to choose repair or normal.

I try both normal and repair, about 5 more times for each, and I get the same result everytime.
I give it a rest for an hour or so. I turn on my computer. Loads Dell bios, then black screen- repair or normal.

I choose normal, it loads the windows thing, and then the screen just goes completely black, and hangs there.

I honestly do not know what to try anymore . . .

Edited by JamesNeedsHelp, 22 January 2011 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I would start with the appropriate diagnostic available from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive...and run the long diagnostic, if both a short and long are offered.

Louis

#3 JamesNeedsHelp

JamesNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I would start with the appropriate diagnostic available from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive...and run the long diagnostic, if both a short and long are offered.

Louis

I'm sorry.. but how do I do that?...

here's what I can provide..

Internal hardrive; Sata-0 : Hitachi HDP725050GLA36

External- USBHDD1 : Toshiba
External- USBHDD2: Seagate FreeAgent Go

#4 JamesNeedsHelp

JamesNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

I did not go to the website, how ever I press f12 upon start up and got to the diagnostic. Finished the short one, no problems. Doing the full, longer one now.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

The CD Image file is the one that I would use...to create a bootable CD disk on which to run the diagnostics.

I'm not sure what test you are running now...but please post the results when done.

Louis

#6 JamesNeedsHelp

JamesNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

The CD Image file is the one that I would use...to create a bootable CD disk on which to run the diagnostics.

I'm not sure what test you are running now...but please post the results when done.

Louis

I'm using the diagnostic available when you press f12 upon start up.

I used a Recovery disc, and in the results I see

"System volume on disk is corrupt."

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

What specific model Dell Inspiron, please?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users