Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Internet Explorer Cannot display the webpage Windows XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reys739

reys739

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hi all I've been trying to tackle this problem for a few hours. This is a WIndows XP SP3 Pro machine.
The issues is when the term "windows update" together without the space is found somewhere in the browser or URL it will take my browser to Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage error.

I have Norton Antivirus I ran a full scan. I installed Microsoft Essential ran a full scan. Installed Spybot ran full scan. Install Malware Bytes ran full scan. I unregistered some wu....dll files. I ran trojan remover. I created a new user account. I reset the TCP/IP stack. I installed Firefox and chrome. All to end in failure :( I don't know where to start but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by reys739, 23 January 2011 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

First of all, you've told us pretty much everything except the problem. Second, if you now have two anti virus utilities active, disable or uninstall one of them.

#3 reys739

reys739
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Sorry I thought the title was ok, everytime i try to access windows update i get the Internet Explorer cannot display this page. It works on my other computers, and I've tried going to the page on in another location adn same problem....in fact while writing this post I noticed something strange when the url is posted on some where on the IE browser it takes me to the IE cannot display... page. I tried to type in the url to the windows update page on the post twice and it gave me cannot display. Pretty strange.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

I assume this just started? If so, have you made any changes to firewall or AV settings recently?
You can try installing IE8 and see if that works.

#5 reys739

reys739
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

I did reinstall IE8 thought I put that in my initial post. I also reset the all the default settings in the security tab in internet options. I turned off the firewall and turned off all the features of the norton AV and still no luck.

#6 reys739

reys739
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

I did a few more other things such as CCcleaner, I uninstalled old version of java and installed new version. That didn't seem to get it fixed either. I finally came across a tool called TDSSKILLER. This product found a rootkit and asked to restart my machine. After that it worked. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I hope this topic will help someone because it was hard to find definite answer on the web.

#7 dw33b

dw33b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

I had exactly this same issue, and the TDSSKiller worked as advertised, problem solved!
Thank you very much!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

TDSSKiller is a malware tool for attempting to deal with infections...this is not a malware forum and suggesting such tools is not authorized here.

See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-cannot-display-the-webpage/c8a0b157-820a-4a14-80f3-806ab51717fa .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users