Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys router with USB port for hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmee70

Kimmee70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have a Linksys routher that has a USB port to plug a stand alone hard drive into so that everyone can access it on the network. I have been unable to set it up correctly. I can't get it to recognize the usb port. I am running windows 7 and the directions only cover how to install it on Windows XP and Vista. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing to work?! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brodie1600

brodie1600

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

If the directions for the router only show instructions for Windows XP and Vista operating systems, it's likely that your OS doesn't support the router (since the OS can't recognize the USB adapter).

If the router came with a disk, I suggest loading it and attempting to go though an installation before plugging in the adapter. If it can't install on your system, you'll need to purchase another router.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Are you saying that the router does not recognize the external hard drive USB connection?

Normal external hard drives do not work in this manner. You need NAS = Network Accessible Storage. Examples of options.

You could connect the external hard drive to one of the PCs then set it up as shared and map to it from the other PCs. But the PC it is connected to would always need to be on in order to access it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users