Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't boot anymore after I installed a new harddrive :(

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DigiDoc

DigiDoc

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

So today I got a new 2TB harddrive and what I did was copying my old C:\ harddrive (590 GB) to the new one using symantec Ghost. It worked out fine, but now when I try to boot my exact copy of the harddrive on the new one, it gives an error aaying that my hardware configuration had changes drastically since the first time, and I have the re-activate it. I can press yes or no to activate it right now, but no matter what I do, it never gets to any activation screen nor windows itself and it loops forever!! I can't get into windows and even in safe mode, the same thing happens. I plugged my old drive out before I booted on the new one (someone told me this is better because there could be conflicts) and I'm pretty sure all the bios boot settings are correct as well. I was running Service Pack 3 btw.

Please help me, it is very appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DigiDoc

DigiDoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Okay guys, the situation has changed. I plugged in my old harddrive (which I had unplugged for various reasons) and booted up the new harddrive. This time, somehow, I DID get to Windows and managed to activate it.

However, it has some serious issues. The taskbar is going from the classic Windows XP style to the old style randomly, the system is slow and every time I start I get a couple of errors, like the Generic Host Process for Win32 Error. I think it has to do with the drive letter, but I'm not sure. Let me explain: basically, my old harddrive is the C:\ drive, it's 600 GB, full, which is why I bought the new 2TB harddrive. I formatted this harddrive and had to give it a letter, so it's called R:\. Now I cloned everything on C:\ to the R:\ drive using Symantec Ghost (version 15) and every time I now try to boot from R:\, I get these errors. The system is really unstable and I don't know how I can fix this. Should I change the drive letter to C:\ maybe? Or will that cause a clash between the two harddisks?

I'm out of ideas and need your help badly :( reinstalling everything I have right now will take an incredibly long time and will be very tedious work, I'm really hoping that I can fix this normally! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Posted Image

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

C:\ drive, it's 600 GB, full, which is why I bought the new 2TB harddrive.

Hi DigiDoc -
Do you now mean that all items are on the External drive and C is now clean, or do you still have a full C drive ?? The below is to show a picture of the HDD's -
Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online
Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Thank You
EDITED for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 22 January 2011 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users