Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jmulcahey

Jmulcahey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

As the title says I'm getting the Page file is low on virtual memory increasing file size etc error. I get that msg about 2 hours after starting my computer somtimes less. about another hour and a half or so it completly locks up.

Background info

So just before Christmas I was on youtube/facebook my computer showed an error then went to a blue screen with white writing scrolling very fast down the page. I couldn't read the white writing. I wasn't sure what to do so I hit alt+ctrl+del for task mgr and the computer promptly shut down. I had to reinstalled XP from the service disk. During the time when I was updating drivers the comp was not on long so i do not know if this started during this stage or after that this was going on (win XP sp 3 and other files). i started noticing that it was taking forever to restart/shutdown so I started checking tech forums and this one for similar problems the suggested problem was registry errors I bought regzooka and that solved the registry error problem (there were like 380 or so errors fixed by regzooka). The virtual memory problem is still there though.

Things I have already tried

* going to Hkey local and having the virtual memory cleared at shutdown
* custom sizes of virtual memory
* Scaning for Viruses with AVG free 2011

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Registry "fixers" CAUSE problems, they do not cure them. There is no such thing as a good If registry cleaner. Not one.

If I were you I'd boot to the XP CD and do a repair install (choose the SECOND repair option). After doing so you will need to go to Windows Update and download / install all updates.

#3 Jmulcahey

Jmulcahey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

that didn't work thanks for the idea though. Also the reg cleaner was DLed after the problem started and it cut down the time it takes to restart/shutdown my computer. Again thanks for the idea cause I'm ran out of them.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

So you did a repair install and you still have the problem? If that's the case you might want to visit the malware section of this forum and let them check your system. No harm in making sure one way or the other.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Registry tools are indeed not recommended, but let's check one more thing...

Please, post some computer info:
- amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key Posted Image, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Registry tools are indeed not recommended

Maybe is this right, but than is the question there: How must you repair than the register.?

Manuel? :nono: By hand take you the risk that you do something where you are in sorry.
Register repair is more safety than repair your Windows register by hand.
Don't forget that not all humans are experts with repair Windows register.
When you download and install CCleaner and you take care that the options Application paths and installed software also help files, letter types are not finked, than the user don't get the risk for problems. Belief me.
Of course, there are other register repair programs and I do believe that they make more kaput than good for the o.s., but I belief in CCleaner and I can with a safety feeling saying, use CCleaner.
Okay than: It is not alone important that you defrag the hd., it is also important that you defrag the page file.
When I have this problem, than I check the register via CCleaner, after that, I check the volume via system prompted with chkdsk /p than /r for repair and than I defrag the hd. and the page file.
Also is it important that you before you doing this, check the drive for Spyware and other vulnerable.
The most problems what people get, are: Dirty volume, dirty Windows register, fragment hd. and fragment page file.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Registry tools are indeed not recommended

Maybe is this right, but than is the question there: How must you repair than the register.?

Manuel? :nono: By hand take you the risk that you do something where you are in sorry.
Register repair is more safety than repair your Windows register by hand.
Don't forget that not all humans are experts with repair Windows register.
When you download and install CCleaner and you take care that the options Application paths and installed software also help files, letter types are not finked, than the user don't get the risk for problems. Belief me.
Of course, there are other register repair programs and I do believe that they make more kaput than good for the o.s., but I belief in CCleaner and I can with a safety feeling saying, use CCleaner.
Okay than: It is not alone important that you defrag the hd., it is also important that you defrag the page file.
When I have this problem, than I check the register via CCleaner, after that, I check the volume via system prompted with chkdsk /p than /r for repair and than I defrag the hd. and the page file.
Also is it important that you before you doing this, check the drive for Spyware and other vulnerable.
The most problems what people get, are: Dirty volume, dirty Windows register, fragment hd. and fragment page file.

sigh

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

You said that you set the virtual memory to custom size.
What size is it set to?

I always set the virtual memory to system managed size.
Make sure you reboot after adjusting the size of the virtual memory for the changes to take effect.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Jmulcahey

Jmulcahey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

@Broni-
- amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key , hit Pause/Break key) was .99 gb RAM

- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties") was: used 15.6gb and free was 96.1 gb for a total of 111 gb

@Allan- I repaired from the CD first time it went all the way through without any problems until it got to a black screen w/ the windows logo where it said please wait I checked on it a few times came back it was still there. Then had dinner came back it was still there after about 6 hours or so I restarted. Ran it again gotta to the part where it had to restart (right before the black screen with windows logo) and went back to TV fell asleep as it was somewhat late woke up in the morning and my laptop was at the desktop. so i assume it worked but as usual 2 hours later i got the warning that the paging file was not large enough. Also i have already been to malware/spyware threads and they said it was not the case :-/

@Eyesee-
- I tried 2 GB of ram and then 2.5 gb of ram restarted comp and again ran in to the same problem so I returned it to system managed size and restarted and looked for more problems.

thank you all for your quick responses
@Registry Cleaner- was somthing i did about a week ago i had already tried so many things it was the last thing i tried before posting here.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Just so I understand. You used an original XP CD (not a "reinstallation" disk that came with the system) and did a repair installation, is that correct?

Two other things to try then.

1) Boot to the the XP Cd and choose the FIRST repair option (that will drop you at the recovery console). Once there, run chkdsk /r

2) Download and run memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)

Also, you can boot to safe mode and see how the system runs there.

#11 Jmulcahey

Jmulcahey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

thanks for your time i'm answering from my cell phone. My mom had me take it to a "professional" because i have to go back to college on sunday they're running a diagnostic this am and will tell me if they can fix it soon. Sorry it wasn't my choice. Thank you for your time.

ps - when i dropped it off the guy said he thought it might be hardware related.

again best of luck thank you for your time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users