Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

_something_ is phoning home upon boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 corrosiv

corrosiv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

PeerBlock starts at boot-time, and IMMEDIATELY shows blocked accesses to IPs under the "Archer Communications" range.

- how do I identify what process is making this attempted communication, and how said process is started?
- what's the story on Archer? I'll get the actual IP addresses shortly when I restart.

thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Archer Communications

More info. Possibly why it is phoning home. Just what piece of software it is tied to I have no idea. But may give you a starting point.

#3 corrosiv

corrosiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

PeerBlock starts at boot-time, and IMMEDIATELY shows blocked accesses to IPs under the "Archer Communications" range.

- how do I identify what process is making this attempted communication, and how said process is started?
- what's the story on Archer? I'll get the actual IP addresses shortly when I restart.

thanks all

The addresses:

whois shows they are all Omniture (marketing/analytics) owned by Adobe.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

If you have any Adobe software on your machine then it really comes as no surprise.

#5 corrosiv

corrosiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

If you have any Adobe software on your machine then it really comes as no surprise.

I'm not surprised that a software package might phone home. What I'm curious about is that there is nothing related to Adobe in my startup lists - I want to know which specific program is doing this and how it is started.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Flash is Adobe.

Also I`ll guess you have Adobe PDF. If you check msconfig I believe you will find at least on instance related to it.

You may also want to check Add\remove for something along the lines of Adobe updater or downloader. Forget the exact name.

Other then Flash. I have not used Adobe products in years for reasons like this and more.

#7 corrosiv

corrosiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Flash is Adobe.

Also I`ll guess you have Adobe PDF. If you check msconfig I believe you will find at least on instance related to it.

You may also want to check Add\remove for something along the lines of Adobe updater or downloader. Forget the exact name.

Other then Flash. I have not used Adobe products in years for reasons like this and more.

I found the culprit finally. One of this whois-like pages I found on Google mentioned Skype. MS Sysinternals autoruns showed Skype in the Task Scheduler, which I disabled.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Glad you got it solved.

Would have never thought of Skype when all things pointed to Adobe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users