Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i help my computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kaygie

kaygie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

:clapping::thumbsup: okay guys...btw love your site!! everyone i have had contact is always polite and helpful. thanks for being the way you are! problem is that i play world of warcraft often. sometimes my pc just goes off and a yellow light blinks off and on. i do not like to force a shut down but i dont know what else to do. pc is a dell optiplex 260....intel pentium ...2 gb hd ( 1/5 usage)....nvidia video card...(srry if i spelled incorrectly). it only happens while i am trying to play.:lmao:
if there is anything that i can have somebody add to my pc to prevent these shut downs i would appreciate knowing. it also tends to feel rather hot. thanks in advance and have a wonderful day.:thumbsup::P

The difference is too nice - Where ends the virtue or begins the vice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

<<...if there is anything that i can have somebody add to my pc to prevent these shut downs i would appreciate knowing.>>

Simple/honest answer is...maybe ;). To prevent the cause of shutdowns, one must first determine why the shutdowns may be occurring.

Shutdowwns occur for a variety of reasons...ranging from overheating to hardware deterioration/failure to malware to damaged files stopping the system (hence the name STOP errors).

There is nothing that can be added to a system...of complex, electronic parts...which relies on an O/S, drivers, and programs to be useful...that can preclude problems.

That's why the basic precept of owning a system....has always been to backup, backup, backup. Prepare for the day/moment when things are not working well, because it will come (often, sooner than many users seem to think).

The computer is no different in this respect...than your automobile. Each has mechanical and electronic aspects...the impairment of any one of the various components or key items...brings the utility to a screeching halt, calling for maintenance, repair, or some measures required to restore capability.

The biggest difference between the two, IMO...overcoming these moments on a computer system...is far easier, more well-documented, and requires no special tools (normally) or costly expenditure to an agency which will "service" the system.

And...a computer system is, IMO, far more complex in terms of what we ask it to do to enhance our lives.

If users followed the basic mandate to back up or otherwise provide for those days when all is not well with the system, they would save themselves an awful lot of frustration, IMO.

There is no magic pill that can be taken for computers...but there is a wealth of information pertaining to what users can do to keep their systems running with a minimal amount of problems...and overcome those situations when problems which cannot be ocntrolled...occur.

I don't own Dell systems and I have no idea what your lights may be trying to tell you...but I'm willing to bet that Dell's documentation on your system and the meaning of those diagnostic lights...can be found at Dell's website or at the Dell user forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

it also tends to feel rather hot.

finding were the excess heat is coming from is a start ,start by opening the case and checking for dust clogged fans ,on processor[cpu]and the nvidea video card ,and the power supply fan .
you say it is only has a 2gb hd ,are you sure of that or are you referring to ram,and not the hdd.

also did it ever work "wow"with out freezing

Edited by caperjac, 22 January 2011 - 03:02 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 kaygie

kaygie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

excuse my taking so long to reply. you are correct i was speaking of the ram. actually it did play wow for a few months without trouble. i made a mistake and bought this pc from an ebay refurbisher site. i live on a fixed income thus i cannot afford to buy an actual gaming computer. is it possible to put one together myself (efficiently and inexpensively)? i want to thank both of you for taking the time to respond to my posts.

#5 kaygie

kaygie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

hamluis you are once again correct there is a tool that is supposed to tell me about the lights. the problem is whenever i look at the back of the pc to figure out which light is on ....no lights are on. i have contacted the person that i purchased it from and they sent me some information. you origionally informed me that i had made a mistake purchasing a pc the way that i did. btw is windows xp obsolete in your opinion?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

<<...btw is windows xp obsolete in your opinion?>>

I would not call it "obsolete", in the sense that it still functions quite well on many systems...just as Win 9x and Win 2K still function well on some systems.

I would say that it is "obsolete" from the perspective that you will never see it again installed on a new system, unless it is by special request or efforts of the purchaser of said system.

Did you know that Windows 8 is tentatively scheduled for release next year?

I don't advocate installing Microsoft products just because MS releases new products to control/improve its revenue stream...but I do favor users going with a newer O/S if that O/S is better suited for their interests, tendencies, maintenance perspective, etc.

I purchased Win 7, after trying the beta releases...because I deemed it a better O/S than XP. Better driver support (mindful of the fact that XP has been around for 10 years now), better suited (IMO) to users with little or no interest in repairing their own systems, and more capable of taking advantage of the current state of component technology. I also felt that...if I was to continue with my participation in the various forums...I would like to (at some time) have sufficient familiarity with Win 7 that I could attempt to assist users of Win 7, just as I attempt such here in the XP forum.

Also...from a retrospective view of the Windows O/Ses in my lifetime...with the exception of Me, I think that each was a step forward, paving the way to the next version. I've never considered any version...Win 95, 98, etc...as a "final product" that I would wed myself to. I consider change the natural progression of computer hardware, software, and O/Ses...and I consider some of these changes good, both for myself and the general populace.

From that type of perspective...I can only say that the probable reason that I still have XP installed on my two systems...is my participation in the BC forums where many users still have XP situations. I also have Win 7 installed on each system, but I find that I don't familiarize with very much yet...but I will :).

I try to learn from and appreciate the past...but not tie myself to trying to pretend that it will be the future. And the future will contain many things of benefit to me...if only giving me something by which to compare...my past experiences :).

The learning/familiarity curve involved in learning Windows...hasn't bothered me since I did my first install of Win 98, while moving from Win 95. I think of myself as a learning machine, I've always enjoyed it.

So...I don't consider XP "obsolete" in the normal sense one would use...but XP is part of the past in the Microsoft evolution of O/Ses...and I want to experience this evolution for what it is, not as an inconvenient change that will certainly occur again and agsin, in the future.

Louis

Just a note...I am not an "expert", a "tech" and have no educational experiences in computers, other than my own experiences and what I am able to absorb/undestand by virtue of the various forums I have frequented and Microsoft documentation re their products. I have the advantage of owning a computer since 1996 and being willing to learn along the way to tomorrow :).

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#7 kaygie

kaygie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

:busy: i learned something from you again.....ty very much. the good thing is that you are so unselfish in that you do not mind passing on whatever knowledge you have acquired. :thumbup2: :thumbsup: thank you very much once again. btw is vista the latest os? i am confused would it be vista and windows 8 or am i wrong. hamluis excuse me for being so green . one day i sat down at a computer and tried to learn which brings me to where i am today.:blink:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

<<...excuse me for being so green...>>

No need to say such...we are all "green" in that we can never "know" or "learn" all that there is about anything :). I used to pay $35 or so to a computer shop...every time that I wanted to reinstall Win 95...because I considered it totally beyond me during my first year of owning a computer. It was only the prodding by the computer shop...that convinced me that I could do it myself :).

The biggest thing with computers, IMO...is that change is the basic pattern. Hardware, software, O/Ses available, problems, malware...it's all always changing. I learned long ago that it's not wise to try to learn everything about everything...just focus on the things which have some measure of meaning in my life and learn as much as I can so that I can pursue my "goals" as intelligently as possible and without fear of the unknown. The unknown seems to be the norm and there is no reason to fear it unless I think it represents a danger of some sort.

Computing doesn't fall into that category :).

Vista is pretty much in the same boat as XP is currently, IMO. Vista is the precursor of Windows 7 and is often maligned (as all things are) by those who are always willing to point the finger...away from themselves. I would not suggest that anyone install Vista as an O/S on a system today, for the same reasons that I would not suggest XP.

I suppose that my approach is...go with whatever O/S is current, what is likely to be on a new system (if you purchase such) and which has a longer life ahead of it than behind it. If all other things are even equal, I believe in going forward, not backwards...because that seems to be the nature of computing. That doesn't mean that anyone should try all of the current/latest betas (betas are programs in development, not ready for prime time) because betas are what I consider experimental :).

<<...the good thing is that you are so unselfish in that you do not mind passing on whatever knowledge you have acquired...>>

That's just understanding what the process of learning is :). The vast majority of what I might consider my knowledge...has been passed on by innumerable experiences, work, research...done by others. It only seems natural to me...to be willing to share that with others...as so many have shared with me, either directly or indirectly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users