Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Threatfire problem + freezing touchpad help ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joy Collected

Joy Collected

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hello !
Thank you very much for your time.. :)

I recently downloaded PC Tools ThreatFire a few days ago whilst having avast! free.
Stumbled site claimed they could work in conjunction. Had to see it to believe it.
It didn't. <_<

Has been uninstalled ever since but ever since I restarted my computer some problems arose:

Various programs in my laptop can't run anymore.
When I click some shortcuts on my desktop an error notice appears:

" C:/Program Files/PeerBlock/peerblock.exe
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

Touchpad freezes.
Computer still runs just fine but touchpad almost seems like it disconnects. Can still operate through the shift keys and other key combos. Doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it goes back to normal.

Firefox freezes.
Mostly when loading google and its instant search preview crap. I press enter and freezes the program.

Frustrating.. I never have problems with my computers. :(
Thank you very much once again !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

While I ran Avast and Threatfire together for a while, it did take some tweaking of both programs to get them to play well together. I have since dropped Threatfire.

Instructions here for uninstalling Threatfire as well as a link for a specialized removal tool that may help in your instance.

#3 Joy Collected

Joy Collected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

While I ran Avast and Threatfire together for a while, it did take some tweaking of both programs to get them to play well together. I have since dropped Threatfire.

Instructions here for uninstalling Threatfire as well as a link for a specialized removal tool that may help in your instance.

Thanks for your reply so much !
I've tried those instructions myself before. However the last one can't be done because it tells me that services.msc is not associated with anything. Same error as I had with PeerBlock.

I feel as Threatfire is completely gone, but I still have all these problems.
Any ideas ? :[

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

I will assume by the "last one" and you mentioning "services.msc" you mean 2. Find 'Windows Management Instrumentation' Service and Stop it. Listed under If ThreatFire continues to show up in your Windows Security Center

That does make it sound like TF is gone.

Two quick questions. Even though it does not say to disable TF prior to uninstall, did you? Did you try the uninstall tool? What happened when you ran it?

TF does have a FAQ as well as a Community Help Forum. Found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users