Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows is starting up" stuck...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EMSChief1

EMSChief1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

I am using Windows XP Home edition on an Eee PC. I am unable to boot Windows. If I try to go into Safe Mode, I get a blue screen with "Windows is starting up..." but it never starts. Please help. The PC does not have a recovery CD...I believe I can reinstall Windows from the computer. I found this and went through the steps but don't want to lose all My Documents so I didn't follow through.

"Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord for 30 seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, hit the Power On button and immediately start tapping F2 until the BIOS screen shows up.
Once it shows up, hit the F9 button. It will ask you to restore everything to default and hit “OK”.
Go to the Boot tab and highlight Boot Booster and hit enter. Now highlight “Disable” and then hit the enter button.
From there, scroll up one or two spaces and hit highlight the Boot Configuration and hit enter. Highlight Quiet Boot and hit enter. Disable it.
Hit F10 and enter, then immediately start tapping F9. Once you see it saying “Loading pre-installation environment” quit tapping the F9 key. This is where you will reinstall Windows.
Once it comes up it will ask you if you’re sure you want to reinstall Windows. (Remember: you’ll lose EVERYTHING on your computer if you do this.) Hit the OK button.
From here it walks you through the Symantec Ghost reinstallation wizard."

Is there any way to save my data or fix it without reinstalling everything. I do have Recovery Console on the laptop and can get to that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

if you can get to the recovery console try running a check disk: chkdsk /p /r
i usually try to run it about three times. this will attempt to check for and repair errors in the file system.

#3 EMSChief1

EMSChief1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

Ran chkdsk c: /p and is says CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume. I'm running CHKDSK /r now but it's stuck at 53% completed for the past 10 minutes. Does it usually take this long?

#4 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

it can take a little time if there are some problems. the r option makes it take a little longer as well i think. you can try booting after it completes one and see what happens. it might not get all of the errors though. three times will usually get most of them.

#5 EMSChief1

EMSChief1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Ran it a few times. Still getting the same results as the original post.

#6 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

you might want to test the hard drive and see if it is still ok. i am not sure how to do one on an eee pc. i have one but have never tried an onboard. if you hit esc while at the bios you get a boot menu. you could see there if it has a diagnostic test. the bios sometimes has a diagnostic in it as well. if you can't find one that way, we will have to look into making a bootable flash drive with a hard drive testing utility on it.

#7 EMSChief1

EMSChief1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Still nothing. chkdsk /r never gets past 53%. I took th notebook to Best Buy to see if maybe they could recover my documents off the mini-hard drive and then I would just reinstall Windows from the image. They basically said ony Asus can open it, so I'm SOL. Any other suggestions?

#8 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

what kind of a hard drive is it? is it a solid state or a sata drive? if it is a sata drive there should be no problems getting data off of it. what size is the drive? have you tried running a hard drive test?

edit: i was looking at my eee pc and you can easily access the hard drive by removing the panel on the bottom of the laptop. the drive then slides right out. if you know someone with a hard drive adapter they can retrieve your data for you. so you are not sol there. i am still looking for an easy guide to run seatools from a usb to test the hard drive.

Edited by datastream, 23 January 2011 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users