Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do not have permission on external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hello, I converted my old desktop hard drive into an external hard drive for my laptop. The old desktop ran on XP (if that matters).

My new laptop is Windows 7.

When I plugged in the external hard drive, I tried to access the folders and got "permission denied". After looking online I found out that I need to become the owner of the new files/folders in order to set permissions.

I went into Start > Computer > right click on E: drive (E: is the name of the external HD)

Clicked on Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner tab. Now I initially selected "my computer"\Administrators as the owner. Checked "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects"

I then tried to access the folder and was denied. So I repeated the steps and made my username as the owner.

I also went in and gave myself full access to the folders.

Now it is hit or miss. Some folders are OK to go into, some still require me to become owner.

I cannot access any of my files, unless I go in one by one and give myself "full permission".

I have thousands of files on my hard drive, and I really don't want to go in one by one to set my permissions.

Am I missing anything? Is there any ownership or permissions that I can set at the top level and have it go all the way to the files?

Thanks in advance (I hope I gave enough information, but if not, please ask.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users