Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hello. Our family has two machines running Vista and neither work as well as my old Gateway desktop that has XP. I also have a netbook with Windows 7 and have had no issues with it at all. the issues with the other two machines are that they either run too slow or in the desktop's case, it freezes alot. I had gotten some cleanup help for the desktop. it was better at first, but even with my stronger controls and anti spyware/malware scans, it goes back to freezing occasionally.

so, I wondered if it would be beneficial to upgrade the two machines with Vista to Windows 7. Can I actually do it? would love some opinions/advice. thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Take a look here: Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

There is nothing wrong with Vista. Tell us the specific problems, one system at a time, and we'll try to help.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

hmmmmm....well, one, the desktop freezes up. this is the one I got help with last year and it got better and I added more security via anti malware (malware bytes anti malware). It just froze briefly again this morning. While it is better, I'm tired of my daughter using my PC because she doesn't want to use hers due to the freezing up.

the other is a laptop that runs very slow. I put the TFC, a cleaner recommended(that you're probably aware of?) to me for my desktop that I've been using since I got help with that machine last year and so far, no issues since then. So, I ran that on the laptop and of course it took forever since it's not been cleaned up in a long while, perhaps years. I also put malware bytes anti malware on this machine and run scans. Still runs slow and drives hubby nutsoid.

The reason I'm looking at upgrading is it doesn't seem to matter what I do with these two machines, both do not run optimally. at least in my opinion. so, there's the jist of my issues with these two PCs.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

1) System 1: Please explain all issues IN DETAIL. "the desktop freezes up" really doesn't tell us anything. You need to provide comprehensive and complete details of what happens, when it happens, how it happens, etc.
2) System 2: TFC does nothing useful. It deletes temporary files (to the best of my knowledge, that's all it does). Other than that, same as above: sayiing "it runs slow" doesn't mean anything. WHAT is slow? What are the exact symptoms?

Again, I and others here will be more than happy to try to help with any problems you may be experiencing with your systems, but you need to help us by giving us as much data as possible with which to work. Thanks :)

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

oh yea, I am very familiar with getting help here. been through it many times. and the thing is that I have no idea when the problems happen. The freezing up is random, so I am not able to tell you much more. It just happens. There is no consistency whatsoever. I run regular scans. MOst recent malware bytes anti malware scan found 9 items (can't recall if they were infections or what....) that I had removed.

and same thing with the laptop. It's slow all.the.time. Slow to boot up, slow to move from web page to web page, slow to get email. I did the clean-up before running other scans (malware bytes anti malware, super anti spyware). There is Norton Internet Security for firewall and anti virus on both machines and those are set to update automatically

the thing is, I don't have these issues with the machines that have XP and Windows 7, so I am just assuming it's Vista. this is why I posted this thread. I wanted opinions of others who may have experienced similar issues with Vista. so, you're saying Vista is fine. is it the machines then? both are HP....

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

heat buildup from excessive dust on cpu fan can cause freezing .if they were mine i would backup my important data and reinstall vista,
Vista works great on 2 laptops we have here ,running on Vista for almost 2 yrs now.
as far as you winxp machine working better than vist ,it could be users,people have differen usage habbits,use different sotware,surf different sites ect ect

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

No one`s going to ask about hardware specs on the two misbehaving PC`s? :blink:

Processor and amount of memory at least.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Specs? She hasn't even fully described the problem yet.

:)

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

She is describing the problems to the best of her ability. Sometimes it is difficult to be more specific, especially when the poster says

The freezing up is random, so I am not able to tell you much more. It just happens. There is no consistency whatsoever.

Have you considered the fact that NORTON could possibly be a source of the slowness? When it comes to security programs, there is no one size fits all. What works on one system may not play nice on a different system.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to find out if Norton is a part of the problem is uninstall it. IF this is something you want to explore, turn on the Windows firewall before uninstalling Norton. After the uninstall, run the NORTON REMOVAL TOOL.

Reboot, see if it made a difference. If it did, you will have to decide whether to install a stand alone antivirus, reinstall Norton and live with it or purchase/install a security suite.

If not and you want to continue with Norton, reinstall.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 January 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you. Please post the results for both computers.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

If you are not posting this from the computer that the scan is run on, please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Are you getting any errors, blue screen errors (BSODs)?

When it freezes does the mouse quit responding as well?

What do you do to resolve this when it happens?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

She is describing the problems to the best of her ability. Sometimes it is difficult to be more specific, especially when the poster says

The freezing up is random, so I am not able to tell you much more. It just happens. There is no consistency whatsoever.

Have you considered the fact that NORTON could possibly be a source of the slowness? When it comes to security programs, there is no one size fits all. What works on one system may not play nice on a different system.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to find out if Norton is a part of the problem is uninstall it. IF this is something you want to explore, turn on the Windows firewall before uninstalling Norton. After the uninstall, run the NORTON REMOVAL TOOL.

Reboot, see if it made a difference. If it did, you will have to decide whether to install a stand alone antivirus, reinstall Norton and live with it or purchase/install a security suite.

If not and you want to continue with Norton, reinstall.

you know...now that you mention it? I used to have Norton on the XP machine and had all kinds of issues. In fact, the first time I got help here was on that machine due to Norton!! why didn't I think of that???? agh!! I may just explore this indeed. It's nice to hear that others think Vista is fine. It could very well be Norton. thanks for the suggestion, am definitely going to think on that a bit.

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you. Please post the results for both computers.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

If you are not posting this from the computer that the scan is run on, please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Are you getting any errors, blue screen errors (BSODs)?

When it freezes does the mouse quit responding as well?

What do you do to resolve this when it happens?

okay, might consider doing this as well. I'm not getting any errors or blue screen errors (yet). The mouse does quit responding too when that desktop freezes. This last time it froze....well, it unfroze in a matter of minutes so we didn't do anything. but in times past we've tried cntrl/alt/delete which I don't think worked and then after that just powered it down.

thanks dc3, will think about posting for the two machines. appreciate the help.

#14 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

okay, one more question and maybe this isn't the place for it....but, if I do end up uninstalling Norton, are there firewall and antivirus known to be good to use with Vista? I've got Avira on my XP and Windows 7 machines and have had zero issues. and I am using Windows firewall with both as well.

thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Edited by tobyo, 23 January 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#15 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

heat buildup from excessive dust on cpu fan can cause freezing .if they were mine i would backup my important data and reinstall vista,
Vista works great on 2 laptops we have here ,running on Vista for almost 2 yrs now.
as far as you winxp machine working better than vist ,it could be users,people have differen usage habbits,use different sotware,surf different sites ect ect

yep, found that out years ago when the XP machine was acting goofy, cleaned the vents and it works great. so, I regularly do that now on all machines. and I hear what you're saying about the users and their habits. except neither of those machines (the ones I'm having issues with) are used that often! so....I think I might look into uninstalling Norton as Queen Evie suggests. I have not had a good track record with Norton on any machine.....so I think she may be onto something. (and I'm kicking myself because I didn't think of it....) thank you for your reply, appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users