Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Properties not available

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tindog

tindog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I had some problems recently and was advised to create a new profile... which I did, and the new profile seems to have solved the problems I was having... however, now my recycle bin has a plain document icon, there is no "empty recycle bin" option in the right click menu and when I try to choose properties I get a message saying "the properties for this item are not available"... the one thing I've tried is sfc scan, but it did not solve the problem. Any thoughts? I'm on Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Try couple of fixes.
General fix: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-corrupted-recycle-bin-windows-7-vista/
Recycle Bin incorrect icon: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66294-recycle-bin.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Okay, tried those, but no change.

#4 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Oddly enough, I tried those both yesterday to no avail... this morning, however, the second one seems to have worked, at least partially. The icon is back on my desktop, but there is still no "empty recycle bin" option in the right click menu. This is not a major issue, I guess, I can always 'open' the bin and empty from there, though it is slightly less convenient. If you have any other ideas I'll take them, but I'm pretty happy not having a broken link on my desktop.

#5 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Crap, never mind, it is still messed up. First, the bin is stuck on the Full icon, and if I put something in the bin, the 'empty recycle bin' option inside the window doesn't work either. So I have no way to empty my recycle bin. The 'restore' options works.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Some possible fixes.

Be aware. I have not tried these myself so I can not verify the usefulness\safety of trying them.
Attempt at your own risk.

#7 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Ugh, I've tried so many things, what could this be? Happily, the problems I was having prior to creating the new profile have been solved, but it I can't empty my recycle bin, I may have to reinstall... unfortunately, this computer came with Vista install and no disks... any other ideas?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Did you try any of the suggestions? All are viable possible solutions. Am just unable to test them myself.

Your PC did not come with at least a restore partition?

#9 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

I did try all that were on that site. And of course, more over the last few days. My computer does have a recovery drive, but I've no idea how to use it, especially to fix one problem... I'll look that up though, good suggestion, thanx.

#10 tindog

tindog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Well, I tried the recovery drive, using the Recovery Manager, but I don't think I'm yet to the point where I want to set it back to factory defaults, though I may get there soon. If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users