Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modems, routers, hotspot .. I'm confused

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kim5071

Kim5071

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

I currently have internet service through my local phone company. We have a wireless router hooked up to the modem the phone company provided. When my son tries to play XBox Live while someone is online on the computer, he says the computer lags. So, he unplugs the wireless router and plugs his XBox directly into the modem. (I think.) Anyway, when he plays XBox Live, internet is not available on the computer.

I want to be able to be online while he plays XBox Live, but I am not sure how.

My son told me about HotSpot, through Verizon. Verizon told me that they do not offer internet in my area.
U-verse is not available in my area
Cable is not avialable in my area.

The town where my local phone company is located is about 10 miles away. Does this effect the DSL speed? Cell phone service is spotty, as I live in a hilly region of Ozarks.

I am not sure if I need new hardware or new ISP.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

You state that your service is through your local phone company. I will assume it is DSL.

If it is the only provider in your area then the probably the only option to you is to upgrade your service package with them. If they offer more then one. This is no guarantee that it will solve the problem. Many factors can cause the problem you describe. Distance covered, line condition, amount of traffic on the Internet to name a few.

#3 Kim5071

Kim5071
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yes, I have DSL. I think they only have one internet option.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

You can try and see if there are other alternative service providers by checking here with your zip code: http://www.dslreports.com/search

Again if you are in fact limited to one provider in your area, you might inquire about 'business class' service for more bandwidth and a higher quality of service level.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Kim5071

Kim5071
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the link. It looks like my local phone company is the only provider in my area.

I just checked my phone company's web site. Here is what it said about internet:

"ADSL with speeds from 3 meg to 16 meg is available. Please call the business office at 479-738-2121 for pricing and availability.

Business Class Internet is available in 5meg x 5meg and 10meg x 10meg options. This is guaranteed bandwidth."

I have no idea what all that means.

I have done a speed test. Download is 3.12Mbps Upload 0.43

#6 datastream

datastream

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

do you know the speed of dsl that you have? you could try turning off the firewall inside of your router and see if a security setting is what is causing the problem. i have also heard of problems where double natting causes problems with xbox live. if your modem is acting as a dhcp server and the router is acting as a dhcp server as well that would cause double natting.

you could try turning the router into a switch by logging into the router. look for an option for dhcp server. turn it off. also, plug the modem into one of the numbered ports on the router instead of the wan port.

#7 Kim5071

Kim5071
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

According to my phone bill I have ADSL 384/3MB.
The phone company's website said that distance from their office is a factor in determining spped. I live about 10 miles from the the phone company.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Is it 10 miles straight line? You have to remember that the lines carrying your service do not run a direct line to your home. They can go through any number of switches\hops before reaching you and returning.

Example. The route my ISP runs me through exits me onto the Internet in a totally different state then I live in. Taking all the above mentioned things into account there is no guarantee that increasing your service package will improve the situation you are experiencing......it might.

Most ISP`s have a bit of fine print included in all their contracts. It states that if you purchase\use a particular package that you will get speeds "up to" xxx up\xx down. They then set what they accept as a minimum speed for that package before they will state that you are not getting what you paid for and will do any trouble shooting from their end.

I truly wish I could give you a definitive answer but I can not.

#9 Kim5071

Kim5071
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

It is 10 miles "as the crow flies" from my house to the phone company, but I have no idea the route my line takes.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

Your lines used are the telephone lines. In all likely hood they follow the road(s).

The final decision has to come down to you, the importance of the matter, your pocket book.

One thing you may try. Call your ISP. See if they offer a trial package\no contract for an increased package. If they do give it a try. If things do not improve then simply revert back to your current service level.

I doubt this will work however as most ISP`s require at least a one year service contract. This is especially true in ares of little or no competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users