Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat/reinstall Win Xp, Now Have Two Copies.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike1

Mike1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:30 PM

Hi folks,

Just completed a reformat and reinstall of Windows XP on my Dell 8200 to solve an Internet access problem (that thread can be found as "IE6 Quits Working After A Minute . . ." elsewhere in the forum). After booting from the Win XP CD that came with the Dell, I was given the option to decimate partitions (I had two, one about 30 MB, the other 39 Gigs + change) and format the beast. I eliminated both partitions, gave it the go-ahead to format, and let the CD do the rest. Everything seems to work fine (IE works as it should, too), except the boot process now halts midway and gives me the option to choose which OS I want, MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION or MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION. Now maybe I'm just seeing double, but me thinks there's now a second instance of the OS floating around the hard drive (and, this is new behavior from this Dell). Any thoughts on whether or not this will lead to a problem down the line and/or how I can reduce the number of OS offerings to one (preferably the one that seems to be functioning okay)? And, lastly how did this happen (in other words, what should I have done differently to avoid having duplicates of the OS on the same machine)?

Thanks all,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:47 PM

Generally this is a result of a choice made during the setup process (which isn't IMO, worded very clearly).

Here's a link that tells you how to get rid of the extra copy: http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...-copies-xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

John,

I agree, the Win XP reinstall process wording is less than desirable. But, I probably misinterpreted something while doing the reinstall (despite my having TweakGuide easily accessible from my other Dell, which was KVMed to the system). Anyway, I'll give this a try sometime in the near future (unless it starts causing trouble beyond being an occasional annoyance). Could be I'm better off leaving it alone until the next reinstall; at least the Internet's working (and that's a major plus for my wife whose computer this is).

Thanks for the help and the link.

TTFN,

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users