Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Problems with Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruthie_D

Ruthie_D

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

My updates have not been installing for months! I went to the Microsoft site and didn't have time to search out the solutions so have left the problem go. Now I am having some problems with my computer. I don't know if that is the source of my problems but I know that I need the updates! My computer acts like there is a virus or something. It is doing things like changing icons, then they are changed back upon restart. One day it works fine, the next day it won't. Yesterday I could not open any programs(they would just do nothing when I would dbl click on the icon), Word Docs would not open (A pop-up box said that I did not have enough disk space to run the program-I have plenty of disk space!), or PDF files would not open(The box would say that the progam had stopped working). It was just dead! I tried to do a restart and when I went to "START" to shut down, I did not have an option to restart or shut down. There was just nothing there! There was no way to shut it down! I did a hard shut down at the tower and went to bed!! I started it up today and today I can open my various programs, Word Docs and PDF files!????! I have Avast and ran a full system scan, found nothing! Did another scan with another program searching for malware and still found nothing! Something is definately wrong! I don't know if my hard drive is going bad or what! Never had troubles before! I do have everything backed up so if it is my hard drive, I won't lose anything! I have an HP m9300t that's a little more than 2 years old. I just found this site and am glad I did! I hope I can get this figured out! My son tells me that I need to wipe everything off of my hard drive and reinstall everything. He says it is necessary to reformat your computer periodically anyways!!! I REALLY don't want to have to do that! If there is any way to get this thing working I want to go about it! Oh, also, today it won't print anything! I mean, I guess it can't find my printer because I hit "print" and nothing happens! That hasn't happened before, maybe tomorrow I can print! BTW: I did get my updates to download by going through this site and looking up the error code! The WONDERFUL people here led me to the "Fixit" at Microsoft and it worked!!! Thank you VERY much!!! Now if I can just figure out what else is going on I'll be relieved! Sorry to go on so long, but it is doing so many odd things and they are hard to explain, some things it is doing I can't explain! Thank you for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Get free antivirus and antimalware programs:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

A clean install...washes away old problems and facilitates troubleshooting new ones...as they occur.

It also gives the user to define whether or not hardware is contributing to a seeming avalanche of problems.

Louis

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

If you do decide to re-install, don't forget to make at least one full back-up of all your docs, photos, vids etc etc to some form of external media (eg portable drive) ... just in case!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users