Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with partitions and 2 OS on one computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmee70

Kimmee70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

My son tried to fix his Windows 7 and didn't realize it, but he ended up with 2 partitions and a Windows 7 OS on each partition. He has C:\ that is labeled recovery, but that's where he installed a new Windows 7. He also has D:\ that now has a Windows 7 OS on it as well now. Now everytime he starts his computer he has to mark which operating system partition you want to load. My question is how do I get down to just one partition C:\ and one operating system. I would like to format and completly get rid of the D:\ partition that he created with the second operating system. Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

If you have an original Windows & dvd and are prepared to format and start from scratch it's easy. Make sure the dvd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios. Then boot to the Windows disk. Early on you'll be given the option to delete partitions - delete ALL partitions. Create one or more partitions (up to you), format (make c: active), and install the OS.

#3 Kimmee70

Kimmee70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

How do I get it to boot from the dvd first on the bios?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

In the bios there should be a section for boot order which lists all available boot devices (hard drive, floppy, cd, dvd). Move the DVD device to the top of the boot order, save changes, exit.

#5 Kimmee70

Kimmee70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thank you! Everything is working correctly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users