Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this the right machine for the job?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pahoa

pahoa

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hello, this is my first post, I hope I got it in the right spot.. This is about the replacement of my wife's HP Vista media center pc. I would like to give you the specs on the vista, but right now it will not boot with out many tries just to get it into safe mode..I will address this problem later when I get my nerve up to try to repair the mess the vista is in....I will say that it was spec-ed well for being an off the shelf purchase in Dec of '06.. I am a 62 YO novice in the computer world and by no means have any tec experience (even though I think I do)

My wife brought home the computer mentioned below, I don't think it has the power to do what the vista did, basically she only does pictures and music, but she uses the pics to design greeting cards and make graphic changes to enhance her creations, the machine will not be on line except to up date the many programs she uses for the graphic part of what she does.. OK my question is for the $400.00 (new, she works at a large one stop shopping center and the HP OMNI was a display model and she got a good discount) she paid for the HP Omni would the money be better spent in buying a machine with a bigger hardware infrastructure.. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.... Thanks.. Pahoa PS I apologize for rambling...

HP Omni 100-5050 All-in-One 1.8GHz Athlon II 260u Du...

1.8GHz Athlon II 260u Dual-Core Processor, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW Light Scribe, Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Webcam/Mic, ATI UMA Graphics, 20" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

From what your describing the pc will do the job, the only thing is if she is using a newer version of photoshop its power hungry. If not it will do for the money the only way to go bigger for around the same cash is to do a home build even then the operating system alone will run you a hundred bucks so really its user preference.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

It's not the fastest machine but it will serves your wife's purposes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 pahoa

pahoa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thank you both for your replies, you answered my main question. Money was not the dominate issue here though, I was just trying to convince my wife she needed a more powerful machine for all the graphics she uses and to plan ahead for needing more yet down the road. I was trying to get her to wait until I could get the Vista fixed, but I can't afford to take it to a shop, so it may take some time to fix.. I will address that issue at another time.. Thanks again... Pahoa..

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

No problems, but you should really get Winfows 7, it's a lot more stable and efficient then Vista.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 pahoa

pahoa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

Thanks again killerx525... My wife is going to windows 7 for that very reason. I think she has decided to look for a machine with more operating power though than the HP Omni 100 5050... If I might I would like to ask you a question, I realize this is not the right forum for this, but here is my idea.. My wife's Vista media center machine has taken a nose dive. I reloaded the original operating system from the D drive. Prior to this I was getting BSOD and many other odd popups when I would try to boot up. I managed to get the first set of updates installed, and was going for Microsoft update service pack one and I started to get BSOD again, I took photos of the screen and got two or three sets of the stop order, from what I have read indifferent forums these stop screens can give me an idea of what is going on inside this unit.. What I want to do is use the vista as a learning tool ( I know very little about computers but I am a good shade tree mechanic) by trying to restore the Vista machine back to health. I know it would take time but I am retired and I think I want to learn a lot more about computers.. I am hoping that with the help and patients of the BC helpers I can take on this project and learn something.. Right now I am having NO luck at all booting up in safe mode, but I thought if I found out why I was getting the BSOD, by having someone that could read them tell me what to try that I could do some repair some how when I got into safe mode, I can't give you any specs on the machine other than the name above. I know that you are probably sick of hearing from me but I have to start someplace.. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks... Pahoa..

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

For the BSOD, you should start your own topic in the Windows Vista, i'm a hardware guy so i won't be the best help with solving BSOD problems. Also post a topic Questions and advice for buying a new computer about buying an new machine which i can help you :)

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users