Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Upgrade Usb1.1 To 2.0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ing3

ing3

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:14 PM

i have pc computer desktop, pentium 4/// 1.7ghz 640mb ram

I want to know if it is possible to upgrade tp usb2.0 do i just need sa driver or complete physical change.

If drivers is the answer, please tell me where to go exactly please...............

i have a usb 2.0 wireless interface but it ony works 11mbps, my seer goes up to 59.mbps its just working 1/2 the speed.

i connect device but it sas this device can preform faster, please plug into a hispeed usb port..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

We'll need a bit more info to figger this out.

Please let us know the make and model of your computer. If it's not a major manufacturer (Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc) then we'll need to know the make and model of your motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

If it is a desktop you can buy a pci card with usb 2.0 connections if you have an available expansion slot. This entails opening the computer.

If it is a laptop you can buy a card to plug into pc card slot. These cards don't work too well if the device needs to draw a lot of power from computer, like an external hard drive.

If you have windows xp when you reboot it will find the new device and install usb 2.0 drivers. If you have an earlier version of windows you would need to install drivers that generally come with device.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have gone the PCI upgrade route with a 5 port (4 external, 1 internal) USB 2.0 PCI card on my desktops. It is painless, and you still have your 4 1.0/1.1 ports for older or slower devices. One computer had XP Pro and the others W2k. No drivers were needed for XP Pro, and a basic set were needed for W2k.
They are online for $20+-. Worth the upgrade,especially if you have a digital camera.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ing3

ing3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

computer is aopen ax45v bios revision march 2003

i belive that the usb pci controller is best

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:11 PM

It will take care of the problem with the least amount of headahce.
Can you go to your Device Manager and confirm you have a 1.1 USB bus. Your USB will be at the bottom of the list. When you expand the folder it will be labeled 1.1 USB or 2.0 USB.

#7 KiNeL

KiNeL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

i have a usb 2.0 wireless interface but it ony works 11mbps, my seer goes up to 59.mbps its just working 1/2 the speed.

i connect device but it sas this device can preform faster, please plug into a hispeed usb port..

11mbps is the normal speed for WiFi 802.11b but I don't understand the rest of the sentence, what is a "seer"

The message you get is the standard one XP gives if you plug a USB 2 device into a USB 1 computer, it does NOT relate to the speed of the wireless adapter.

Whether you had USB 1 or 2 it would probably make little or no difference whatsoever to the speed of an 802.11b wireless adaptor. If you had an 802.11g 54mbps device however it certainly would.

aclan:

Your particular PC may give this info but it is by no means universal so cannot be relied on. None of my 4 machines states this.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

I did not see where he said he was using 802.11b. I see him posing a question as to how to upgrade from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0.
As for my post referring USB being identified in the device manager, you are right. The onboard bus does not show which verison is installed, but the add-on card does. And it does on the 11 of 13 computers I have them install on in my home.

#9 ing3

ing3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

thank you everyone for your help.

yes i have a desktop and wireless g not b.

(spell check )

seer = mistake of mine... i meant to say other computer/ router

next time i shall take time to spell check , I am so desperate to get help that i don't bother to check my spelling........ I am good at computers i build them and everything, but i still need to learn more about the pc and or mac that i have no clue about it....

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

I hope you have everything you need. Let us know if you need anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users